We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jeans are OK but not nice dress shorts???

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan USA
Level Contributor
382 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Jeans are OK but not nice dress shorts???

I'm sure this has been talked about before but why in the h*** do most resorts allow jeans and a t-shirt but not a polo with a nice pair of dress shorts at their ala carte restaurants??? This has drove me nuts for years considering you are going to a hot tropical climate.

How about no jeans, Jorts, t-shirts or tennis shoes but allow dress shorts with a polo or a nice short sleeved shirt.

Do any of the nicer top resorts get away from the no shorts policy at Ala Carte restaurants?

Edited: 11 August 2010, 03:01
Nj
Level Contributor
846 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jeans are OK but not nice dress shorts???

The Majestic Colonial allows shorts in all of the ala carte restaurants except the French. We found it not a big deal since the French was air conditioned.

St Louis, MO
Level Contributor
202 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jeans are OK but not nice dress shorts???

I agree....we live in St. Louis and almost every restaurant allows nice shorts and a polo shirt. My husband refuses to wear pants...so we eat the buffet every night!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,903 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jeans are OK but not nice dress shorts???

I like the long trousers/pants rule

We travel a lot and always wear lightweight linen type trousers to a la cartes in the evening and find them very comfortable. It think it gives the resort a much nicer classy feel to it

I do however agree with you that jeans should not be allowed

Each to their own

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jeans are OK but not nice dress shorts???

I agree............most resorts let you eat in most of their restaurants with a nice pair of dress shorts. Usually one or two of the restaurants are stricter and you need to wear long pants.

glasgow
Level Contributor
587 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jeans are OK but not nice dress shorts???

I side with the hotels on this one. I believe at a nice hotel you should wear proper trousers. The problem with allowing shorts is who makes the decision on what shorts are dress shorts and what are not. You would just end up with argument after argument every night. We all know there are people that will argue the toss over everything. it has to ba a blanket shorts allowed or not for me.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,541 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jeans are OK but not nice dress shorts???

I'd rather see a nice pair of dress shorts with a polo any day rather than a pair of old, ragged jeans with a sweat shirt or T-shirt with some obnoxious saying on it but that's just my opinion :-)

glasgow
Level Contributor
587 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jeans are OK but not nice dress shorts???

Agreed but again how do you police what shorts are dress and what not ?

You just know people would come in wearing any type of shorts and argue to hell and back.

Hey i'm just one of those that can't see what all the fuss is about having to wear a pair of long trousers for dinner. Done many cruises and people still wear shorts for dinner when the aircon is so cold you have goosepimples. Find the whole thing quite funny but it's always a hot debate.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,903 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jeans are OK but not nice dress shorts???

When it comes down to it people just need to select a resort that meets their dress code needs

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
5,865 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jeans are OK but not nice dress shorts???

'You just know people would come in wearing any type of shorts and argue to hell and back.'

That this I believe is how Jeans came into the play in the first place. The rule at most resorts just says long pants reguired and like it or not Jeans are long pants. So how can they turn someone away who is actually wearing long pants albeit Jeans.

And unfortunately as soon as they said dress shorts were OK - some people would argue that even their beach wear was dressy.

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
7,971 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jeans are OK but not nice dress shorts???

right, sackie...

this thread was started to discuss why jeans are okay in a la carte restaurants because they're long pants, while nice dress shorts are not (obviously the resort management has never been to Bermuda, where businessmen wear bermudas, shirt and tie as proper business attire).

this thread was not started to debate whether trousers are more appropriate than shorts in a restaurant