We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

confiscating at puc airport

Ajax, Canada
Level Contributor
208 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
confiscating at puc airport

What about cameras we bring them in our carryon have they been known to take them. Thanks Candy Ajax

St Louis, MO
Level Contributor
202 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: confiscating at puc airport

Gosh all of this talk is making me nervous! I have always carried the "body" part of my metal detector with me on the plane along with my laptop as these are very expensive items. Hopefully I don't have a problem! any advise or words of wisdom would be appreciated!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: confiscating at puc airport

Don't worry about your expensive items. For some reason they mostly have an umbrella fetish with the occasional battery thrown in.

england
Level Contributor
5,655 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: confiscating at puc airport

Hi there

It seems to be Umbrellas , Spare batteries & Lighters that are the items they focus on.

Umbrellas I guess because they can be used as a weapon..:-))

Batteries , no idea why they won't let them on..

Lighters. Well the rule in the UK is no "Zippo" type lighters..Because they carry a liquid fuel..But I guess it's got confused in translation...

Oh & of course there is the "no Liquids rule"

Never had anything taken from me..Allways carry a lighter. Have batteries in my camera..

Umbrella is a telescopic one that goes in "hold luggage"

Happy hols

Sparky

Contact name at PUJ is Walter Zemialowski and his telephone number is 1.809.707.7210

Edited: 14 August 2010, 16:21
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: confiscating at puc airport

I asked several of my Dominican friends about the umbrellas being confiscated at PUJ.I was told; umbrellas are a BIG part of the Dominican culture. All my Dominican friend's mothers carry them; not so much for the rain but to protect themselves from the Sun.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
13,609 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: confiscating at puc airport

Love the phobias here! Been through the airport more times than most and never ever once did anything ever get confiscated, aside from a bottle of wine that I forgot about in my carry on.

It is not like they open your bag without you there....they ask you first and then proceed under your observation.

Oddly enough, I have never had an issue with batteries of any type, nor have I observed this with anyone else.

I watched a few weeks ago as numerous people were having bottle after bottle of rum taken out of their carry ons. You would think after all of the info out there that most would know not to carry alcohol in their carry ons.

One lady was quite perterbed that her blow dryer was not permited....could be the 8 foot cable that could be a security risk...makes great rope! (why anyone would need one in their carry on is beyond me...then again, I have little hair to dry)

As for umbrellas, there is no black market for umbrellas...lol. Dominicans use umbrellas no more or less than anyone else in the world.

Cheers

PuntaCana Mike

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: confiscating at puc airport

Sorry, Mike. If someone had their hair dryer confiscated, that was out and out theft. Please don't try to defend these practices at PUJ. In the end it doesn't help. For every negative comment you hear or see about corruption at PUJ there are dozens that are never mentioned. For some tourists who have already had a so so vacation in DR, this could be the last straw and they won't return. Not only will they not come back but they'll tell friends and family about their experience and they might give DR a pass and go elsewhere. An airport is important for setting the tone before and after a vacation. Never underestimate first and last impressions of a country.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,405 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: confiscating at puc airport

See link below to a thread that has been running some months on this very subject

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g147293-i28-k338…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: confiscating at puc airport

I was at the Puerto Plata airport in April when a woman from security confiscated my umbrella. I was shocked because I have traveled plenty and never an issue with my umbrella being in my carry on.

She said that the umbrella can be used as a weapon.

Is this on any type of official list from the Dominican government?

I really wanted to say That I wanted to see it in writing or some signs that I couldnt carry my umbrella on the plane, but I didn't want to turn into the irate customer

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
39,538 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: confiscating at puc airport

Hi Cat8803,

If you read my posting #18 on the thread in this link then go to posting #30 where you will find the translation that MonicaSDQ kindly translated for me.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g147293-i28-k338…

Hope this helps.

Angie.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: confiscating at puc airport

Thanks Angelina. I will use this list for the next time that visit the D.R

I don't see umbrellas anywhere on that list. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

The thing is I did have hand lotions and body spray in my purse. That was checked by security but they didn't say anything about that.

Go figure.