We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Punta Cana the best value exotic resort in the world?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dumfries, United...
Level Contributor
312 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Is Punta Cana the best value exotic resort in the world?

We went to Punta Cana for the first time two years ago. Why?

Well, because it has a good variety of resorts at good prices and the weather is superb. Easy!

So, this year I decided to try and better it. So, I commenced an exhaustive search for 'paradise on earth' within a reasonable budget.

Mauritius, Seychelles, Hawaii, Cancun, California and all the other Caribbean islands were suitable examined and rejected for various reasons. Most commonly due to lack of facilities, value for money or just the fact that Punta Cana is just so gorgeous! I couldn't believe that I rejected Mauritius and the Seychelles because they didn't seem to be all that nice.

The other Caribbean islands are very beautiful too, but, generally, they are about 10% more expensive than DR. Don't really know why.

I sometimes had the feeling that The Dominican Republic was the poor cousin to the likes of Jamaica, Barbados and St.Lucia. But this is just not the case. It is a stunning island, superior to all of the others in most ways.

So. The choice for this year was Punta Cana again! It really is the place to go for good value exotica!

Jimmy

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,672 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Punta Cana the best value exotic resort in the world?

Well we are off to Secrets in Jamaica and it was cheaper the Excellence and many other destinations in Punta Cana

I think is all depends on what budget you are looking at and what is on your shopping list. Cuba is another very good value for money destination. I fully agree that DR does offer very good value for money but there are some far more beautiful destinations

Winthrop, Maine
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Punta Cana the best value exotic resort in the world?

Hola: We are headed back to the DR for our 11th trip in November. We always think about going elsewhere but in the end it is back to the Dfr for its great people, and gorgeous scenery, and the best price around.

Mike & CYndie - The Maineacs

halifax canada
Level Contributor
960 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Punta Cana the best value exotic resort in the world?

for us its pc or cayo coco cuba love them both

Jamestown, New York
Level Contributor
372 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Punta Cana the best value exotic resort in the world?

I first went to the Caribbean in 1988, Puerto Plata. The next few years we went to several other islands:

Jamaica.....beautiful but the drug culture simply was not and is not on

my list of preferences and it seems thats what it was all about.

Bermuda......way too uppity for me.

Margarita...... beautiful and boring.

Bahamas......might as well be in South Beach.

Cancun......see Bahamas

Punta CAna...... might just as well be in Cancun.

I love the North Coast for it's history and it's people. True, the beaches are not as beautiful but there is so much more to do and see, Something lured me to the D.R. after about 1996 and I never wanted or felt the need to travel anywhere else.

Edmundston, Canada
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Punta Cana the best value exotic resort in the world?

We have been to Colombia, Riviera Maya Mexico (2), Varadero Cuba, Puerto Plata, Montego Bay Jamaica and Holguin Cuba. We are going to Punta Cana for the first time next March and we will probably stick to the DR and Cuba after our next trip unless we can afford a place like Aruba or Turks & Caicos which I very much doubt.

toronto
Level Contributor
865 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Punta Cana the best value exotic resort in the world?

I would also support the suggestion for looking at Cuba as an option for a reasonably priced beach vacation.

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Punta Cana the best value exotic resort in the world?

At this point Cuba is still a "no go" for those of us in the US. Another point to bear in mind is that those of us in the US rarely have more than 2 weeks vacation together. Most only one week. For those on the East coast, traveling to the Pacific in that short of a time is cost/time prohibitive.

I still find PC to be more reasonable and more "our cup of tea" than other islands we have visited. We return time and again but that is our choice.

I encourage those with the "travel bug" and the means to support it to "go forth" and enjoy for those of us who can't (or choose not to).

Dumfries, United...
Level Contributor
312 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Punta Cana the best value exotic resort in the world?

I'm from the UK and Cuba has been off my radar too. So much so that I didn't even check the prices there! I'll have a look anyway though, but I'd be surprised if it can compete with PC for quality and choice.

Jimmy

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
495 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Punta Cana the best value exotic resort in the world?

In my eye, PC is in-between Cuba and Mexico.

The hotels, the food, etc. are definitely better than Cuba. The beach, well, I'd say Cuba is a little bit better, but there are no beaches as long as PC's that I know of in Cuba.

My «problem» with PC is that I did not find anything worth getting out of the resort. I'm sure there are nice things to visit, but I am not a nature lover, nor am I interrested in architecture. Visiting a jungle, a farm or a cathedral is not on my list. Nor is Saona because I don't see the need to spend money to enjoy what I already have for free. So, PC is a reasonably priced vacation in a nice hotel on a nice beach.

Wheras Mexico (especially the RM) is a destination where you can get out. Mayan ruins, cenotes, towns and villages to go dine and shop into. In Puerto Vallarta, Ixtapa and the likes as well, you feel safe getting out of the resort on your own, something I definitely do not feel I should even think of in PC. But, the price goes accordingly.

So, PC is the compromise. More upscale than Cuba, more affordable than Mexico. The better alternative for a relaxing vacay.

Edmundston, Canada
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Punta Cana the best value exotic resort in the world?

V6Jim,

You can't go wrong with Cuba for sure, a lot of great resorts and the food isn't all that bad either.