We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do we need a car?

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
697 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Do we need a car?

We might be staying at the Tortuga Bay or Zoetry. Would either of those resorts be close enough to walk to any off resort restaurants? shopping? Also we have never been to punta cana...are there any beaches or things that cant be missed and would require a car rental? Thanks in advance!!

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Do we need a car?

Near Zoetry Agua: 1.5 miles beach walk to El Navigante restaurant, 5 minute taxi to nearest shopping plaza.

see map puntacanatv.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/P…

Off resort near Tortuga Bay: free shuttle access to Puntacana Village, but no gifts shops there. See map for list of restaurants & stores puntacanatv.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/P… Golf cart will get you from Punta Cana Marina to Corales Golf.

Both resorts are on the top class beaches (very different beaches though). Not recommended to drive here unless you are used to driving latin-american style.

If you want to get off resort and see real Dominican life, without the stress of driving, I recommend a tour with PuntaCana Mike - he can show you Macao beach or Higuey or Boca de Yuma http://puntacanamike.webs.com

Have fun!

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Do we need a car?

in Uvero Alto,

the area located far north of Punta Cana where the Zoetry is located, you have nearly nothing in walking distance from the resort, it is a Boutique styled top hotel, located isolated from the rest of the east coast, perfect for a romantic hideaway, unsuitable for a exploration of local surroundings.

Tortuga Bay is located in the Center of Punta Cana, right aside of the Airport, they even own the private Intl PUJ Airport, also secluded to resorts aside, but no prob here, because you have driving services who bring you around in Golf Carts to different restaurants etc in the area, shuttles to bring you to Punta Cana Village etc.

like Yumi said above,

2 Top Destins,

very different to each others,

it all depends on each's expectations.

have Fun

Mike

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
5,866 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do we need a car?

Don't drive. Take a cab if you have to go see something.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Do we need a car?

Dual,

I fully agree on the no driving advice on the Uvero Alto Side, there it is campesino styled no Rules Fun on the street, not suitable for people who are not used to Latin American Traffick behaviors.

the opposite on the Punta Cana Side around the Tortuga Bay, Punta Cana Resort & Club, Punta Cana Village, Airport, Cap Cana, here all streets are wide and safe and all night long even lightened Highways styled Roads in Top conditions, traffick there is very well behaved with Transit Authorities present 24/7, here I would not see any problem to have a own Car/Rental Car to do shopping at Punta Cana Village or to move around to the different top notch Golf Courses and Gourmet Restaurants.

just do not drive into Bavaro on Nighttime, the area of the Hotelstrip is a different thingy street rules/behaviors wise.

happy travels

Mike

spain
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Do we need a car?

I've hired a car a few times. not too bad really. I deal with worse in Spain during summer season.

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
697 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do we need a car?

Thank you all so much for the time you took answering my question. However due to airline schedules we arent able to go to Dominican this time. We are going to Turks and Caicos. But we are ok with that because we really want to focus on learning more spanish before we go. As of now im afraid we arent too good at it. I would really love to be able to speak more of the language before we go. Thanks again!..or should i say "gracias"!

7. Re: Do we need a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2011, 06:53