We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dengue Fever

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NY
Level Contributor
47 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Dengue Fever

Just saw a local news show regarding problems with this fever in the DR.

Has anyone one had any problems lately, due to go in October and wondering if we should cancel.

Thanks much.

On
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dengue Fever

we are going in Sept and not really concerned as the resorts spray. I also look at it the same way I now look at the west nile virus that we have/had here in Ontario Canada......I do not plan to cancel my vacation unless my government advises it. oh and I will bring bug spray/lotion

New York
Level Contributor
4,126 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dengue Fever

Hey NY neighbor.....

I think you are referring to this ....

nyc.gov/html/doh/html/pr2010/pr040-10.shtml

We travel DR three times a year.... Have been there almost two dozen times…Just back from PC & Santo Domingo this past July... heading back in December... sometimes there isn’t a mosquito to be found... other times there are tons.... Resorts do spray, but they are no match if its been a rainy period… the bugs seem to triple in size… both Dengue & Malaria exist and you DO chance contraction if you go… it’s the chance you have to decide whether you are willing to take… some take shots, others use DEET…. No one is really qualified on this forum to answer your concerns, but many will try… especially the locals and regs that don’t think DR has bugs, hurricanes, earthquakes, food poisoning or anything wrong…. They don’t have your best interest …only theirs…. We go and enjoy and feel blessed that we’ve been safe and healthy thus far…. I don’t take shots or pills…. I use deet spray and then carry the individual wipes to reapply… Good luck… DR is a gorgeous island…

Peace

Lea

North Truro...
Level Contributor
8,579 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dengue Fever

boy, that wasn't very nice. I don't think anyone here tries to mislead.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,540 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dengue Fever

Agreed OG - what a presumptious statement to make that people on TA have only their own best interest in mind. Not only is it presumptious it's ridiculous. What would people on the forum possibly have to gain? Please point out the posts that state that there are no bugs, hurricanes, earthquakes, food poisoning or anything else wrong in the DR - I'd be really interested to see what you are basing your statement on.. ........

5. Re: Dengue Fever

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2010, 17:37
La Ronge, Canada
Level Contributor
2,348 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dengue Fever

LeaPerLaVita - I think YOUR statement is alot more misleading.... to say that regulars on the forum will tell someone to travel to PC just because they like it there?? That is ridiculous.... no matter where a person travels in this world there will be some risk involved, whether it's to a foreign place or within their own country! The OP simply asked if anyone has had any problems with it lately and I'm pretty sure the answer is going to be NO!!

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
7,971 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dengue Fever

Lea may have been exaggerating, but look at any thread about upset tummies. It's NEVER the fault of the resort. It's always the guest that over does it with booze, or the sun, or too much coconut milk, etc. But, it's NEVER the food or the resort's handling it that's at fault.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,918 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dengue Fever

Sort of reminds me of 50 First Dates Movie - or dejavue

North Truro...
Level Contributor
8,579 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dengue Fever

cairo,

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that new look! You too Leigh and Sheryl!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,540 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dengue Fever

Thanks OG :-)