We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

talking to folks on your flight

toronto
Level Contributor
188 posts
1 review
Save Topic
talking to folks on your flight

........do you ask around to find out where people are staying?...even if it's just to share a cab.......?

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: talking to folks on your flight

I talk to people all the time. We take a charter flight so usually it's the same people on the return and you can find out how they liked their resort choice. I haven't thought of sharing a cab just b/c it would be a tight fit for 4 unless one was a single. We usually set up private transportation before arriving.

Edmundston, Canada
Level Contributor
2,570 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: talking to folks on your flight

I'm more of the quiet type, I like to listen to music and sometimes nap on our flight, but wifey on the other hand talks to everybody. She's the one with the personality in our relationship.

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: talking to folks on your flight

Honey, I didn't know that was your user name. LOL Just Kidding! That's the response my hubby would give. :-)

Evans, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: talking to folks on your flight

I don't like to fly so I am the one hanging onto the seat for dear life and holding my breath til we land! LOL

Actually, hubby and I both read while flying, so no chatting up the neighbors for us.

Joliet, Illinois
Level Contributor
507 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: talking to folks on your flight

Not usually.

The three of us take up the row and we read or do crosswords.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
13,534 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: talking to folks on your flight

i find that aside from a little preflight chatter, strangers on a flight seldom get into conversations. they read, listen to music, watch a movie or doze off.

Cheers

PCMike

Taylorville...
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: talking to folks on your flight

I usually try to. I ask "where are you from?" You can usually tell by their response if they want to talk or not. Same goes for people in the pool. Marilyn

Brooklin, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
13,167 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: talking to folks on your flight

I get into conversations with those on the aircraft quite often if they are sitting next to me, but never to share a cab ride.

John

Brooklin (Bubba King)

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: talking to folks on your flight

on the Flights I enjoy to be on my own,

til today I had on each business class flight the luck to not share the double row with anybody, been always just for myself, to relax and enjoy good wine, watch a Movie and dooze bit, due conversations on the Plane I would feel bothered.

similar when I visit Hotels in the PC Area with the Mrs,

fun with other Guests who speak spanish at the Swimup Bar during the afternoons, that's great, but most of the Time we prefer to stick to ourselves and enjoy a calm relaxed Time on our own, hence our preference of the swimup suite at the Elegance, close to everything but private when lounging on the Veranda, nobody coming by there.

cheers

Mike

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,050 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: talking to folks on your flight

When traveling alone, I like to be really alone with nobody assigned beside me on the plane too. If I'm traveling with somebody, I'll not tend to converse extensively with an outsider.

Usually I find myself talking to the people beside me. Depending on the person (they're usually the one who starts the conversation), it might start earlier or later in the flight. I'm not overly opposed to it since I've actually made "friends" with whom I've exchanged information and we stay in touch once we return home! It's funny though when out of a 4.5 hour flight, you wait until the last hour to start chatting. It might be like my last trip where we had a long spell of turbulence. As soon as the seatbelt light went off, both my seatmate and I popped off our belts and catapulted up to go to the washroom. I guess that was a bonding moment and we began our talk when back in our seats. Lots of people ask for help with their customs forms too which leads to discussion of past travels and interests.

Kaki