We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are they still confiscating umbrellas & batteries at airport

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Are they still confiscating umbrellas & batteries at airport

I will be in PC in a few days and read the large thread a few weeks back regarding security taking these items the majority of the time. I wanted to see if this is still the case.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
12,892 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are they still confiscating umbrellas & batteries at airport

Majority of the time??? Where do you come up with that???

Based on a few experiences? I can say for one that I have never either taken from me, nor...having talked with the heads of about 4 different travel companies... have they had complaints in regards to the topic.

There is always an exception to the rule....but that is all it is. I would not concern myself.

Cheers

PuntaCana Mike

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are they still confiscating umbrellas & batteries at airport

The 'majority of the time statement' comes from the numerous pages of complaints on that thread.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
12,892 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are they still confiscating umbrellas & batteries at airport

vs. the 3.5 million travellers who pass through???

I would not say that it is a common occurance, based on my local contacts who hear ALL the complaints. Batteries and umbrellas are not 2 of them.

There is no black market for either....sorry conspiracy theory people.

As a test...tomorrow my niece is flying back home. I am going to put both an umbrella and a 12 pack of batteries in her carry on. Lets see if she still has them in Toronto!

Cheers

PuntaCana Mike

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are they still confiscating umbrellas & batteries at airport

Mike, if you do a search of "confiscating umbrellas" in this forum two full pages of threads with hundreds of responses come up and that is solely for umbrellas. If you add just confiscating airport it much more than that. I am solely looking to find if I need to go to walmart and purchase a $2 umbrella so that my $15 one is not taken. I live in a wet climate and the chance of needing it going into or out of the airport is high. I will also purchase generic batteries as opposed to Duracell if the odds are they are going to be seized. It seems as though you are taking this as a personal affront and it should not be that way.

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Are they still confiscating umbrellas & batteries at airport

Hi. We travelled from Punta Cana in September and when we were on the coach trip back to the airport our Rep told us to put all alkaline batteries, umbrellas and any electrical items with a cord in our checked luggage instead of hand luggage. They told us that the spokes on the umbrella could be seen as a sharp object. Strighteners etc were ok in hand luggage going to Punta Cana but I just put them in the suitcase on the way home. Better safe than sorry.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,794 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are they still confiscating umbrellas & batteries at airport

Having traveled many times to PC I have never had my umbrella or batterys taken.... lighters are another story...lol.

Besides, most airports state in their rules that you can not carry "loose" batterys in your luggage unless properly secured, I forget what the rules are but certain batterys aren't allowed period.

I really don't think they are taking the batterys out of your electronics.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
12,892 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are they still confiscating umbrellas & batteries at airport

Not taking it personally at all...just being objective in stating that although there are a few pages of posts to the contrary...many of the contributions made by the same people...thus leading to the numerous pages...that making a statement as such give people the reading this the feeling that it is a common occurance...which in fact it is not. As I mentioned in one of those threads...a ladies hair dryer was disputed and was recommended that it be added to the lady's checked luggage (the cord was very long).Just before that, my wife's HD went through (same guy) without issue....standard 5 foot cord.

So what I am saying is not in defence or denial...simply in balance. Chances are slim that either will be taken from you.

Cheers

PCMike...with the first sun of the day appearing!!!

upstate NY
Level Contributor
165 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are they still confiscating umbrellas & batteries at airport

they took my umbrella - a small compact one that folded up and fit in my purse - not even in my carry on!!!! I ws bummed becase it came with my purse when I bought it and was in it's special little pocket inside the purse - I truley didn't even recall it being in there. Oh and they told me I could go back and put it in my checked luggage if I wanted to. After already having waited in line for 1 hour 40 minutes to check my luggage and another 30 minutes to get through security, the last thing I wanted to do was go search for my checked luggage.

So somebody got a nice umbrella - a pretty green one with bright flowers on it that matches my purse! Hope they really needed it!

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
12,892 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are they still confiscating umbrellas & batteries at airport

OK...I give.

Pack your umbrellas in the checked luggage. Problem...solved.

Cheers

PCMike

Simcoe, Canada
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are they still confiscating umbrellas & batteries at airport

Tell her to bring a coat Mike.

Chance of frost up here on Lake Simcoe Fri/Sat..