We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel with Sunwing and stop to puerto plata(didn't know)

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
368 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travel with Sunwing and stop to puerto plata(didn't know)

I just receive our E-ticket for our next vacations and I was surprise to see that we will stop to Puerto Plata before arriving to Punta Cana.

It's 1hour and 30min delay and according to my travel agent we will stay on the plane during the stop.

Is it normal that we have not been contacted before that!

I know that 90 min isn't a big deal but...

ontario
Level Contributor
1,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel with Sunwing and stop to puerto plata(didn't know)

Yes, thats normal. I always make sure to NOT book one of those flights though. Your travel agent should have mentioned it to you.

Mississauga
Level Contributor
816 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel with Sunwing and stop to puerto plata(didn't know)

90 minutes isn't to long, but if your on the plane for that time ... 90 minutes is a long time.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,767 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel with Sunwing and stop to puerto plata(didn't know)

90 minutes sitting cooped up with the airplane door open letting in the caribbean air and humidity would drive me stark raving mad, that's a long time to be coralled in a confined space

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,583 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel with Sunwing and stop to puerto plata(didn't know)

Hopefully it will only be 90 minutes. The same thing happened to us with Sunwing in 2006. We had booked non stop flights to Varadero Cuba six months before our vacation. Two weeks before departure we were notified that they had added a "brief" stop in Puerto Plata on the return flight. What should have been a 3 1/2 hour flight ended up being 7 hours. We sat for 3 hours on the tarmac in Puerto Plata because they had problems sorting luggage. They said they could not serve refreshments due to regulations, Finally we found out that the snacks (which you had to pay for) had never been loaded in TO, so there was nothing to serve. They practically had a mutiny with the passengers. It was not a happy situation.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel with Sunwing and stop to puerto plata(didn't know)

90 minutes itself would not be a problem,

but the policies of no drinks and not allowed to use a Toilet is what bothers myself on such, that's why I did not book any stopover flights since many years.

very Bad working ethic of a Agent who does not make such clear to his/her Customers.

happy Travels

Mike

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel with Sunwing and stop to puerto plata(didn't know)

At least when they have stops in Cuba you can get off the plane and hit the bar before getting back on the plane again.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
753 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel with Sunwing and stop to puerto plata(didn't know)

This happen once to us but we knew before booking.....Now we make sure that it direct.....She should of mention something......I always ask before I book.....I hate flying so the faster I get there the better.....

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
379 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel with Sunwing and stop to puerto plata(didn't know)

It happened to us in Sept. 2003. 15 people booked for a wedding to PC, nonstop, and shortly after all the deposits are in we are advised that the flight has been changed to departure of 6:00 in the a.m. from 10:00 a.m. (all guests were 2+ hours from the airport) and we "now" have a stop over. Thank you Transat.

If you're going off season, this can, and often does if they can't fill the 2 planes that are supposed to do it.

As they say; "same sh*t, different pile".

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
368 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel with Sunwing and stop to puerto plata(didn't know)

just want to be clear, when I booked it was a direct flight to Punta Cana.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel with Sunwing and stop to puerto plata(didn't know)

The charters will not fly a half empty plane. If the flights don't sell out they always consolidate them. This happens frequently in the slow season and every charter company is guilty of doing it.

It's the price we pay for cheap packages.

Edited: 12 October 2010, 01:44