We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where could you buy these items in Punta Cana

Gibbons, Alberta
Level Contributor
550 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Where could you buy these items in Punta Cana

While we are in PC we would like to bring some souvenirs back with us. Wherever we have travelled before I have picked up these items as gifts for family and want to know if the same things are available in PC and where you would buy them:

Stone bowls/jars with a lid. Usually hand carved.

Coffee/Tea Set - hand carved with a tray, pot/pots, and 6 or 8 cups.

Also, are there sea shells on the beaches, I always bring shells and sand home.

Thanks!

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
15,324 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where could you buy these items in Punta Cana

You will have no problems with any souvenirs, there are everywhere.

Sea shells will be a trick as there are very few

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
14,664 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where could you buy these items in Punta Cana

Please leave the pretty shells where they belong and many people in the future can also enjoy them, besides, not sure customs allows them to be brought back into your country.

Ontario
Level Contributor
202 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where could you buy these items in Punta Cana

Deb’s right. Customs may not allow shells you pickup as I have seen many a person have their hand woven hats taken from them they wanted to bring home.

Ontario
Level Contributor
202 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where could you buy these items in Punta Cana

Sorry, should have mentioned hats that are woven from palm leaves.

Gibbons, Alberta
Level Contributor
550 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where could you buy these items in Punta Cana

Far as I am aware, standard beach shells (snails, clams, mussels, etc.) are not on any restricted list for importing them into Canada. I have brought small amounts back from Jamaica, Florida, and Mexico with no trouble. I am not talking large shells, i am talking very small shells. I believe the big no no is conch shells. I take a small quantity of very small shells that I pick up snorkeling, put them with about two tablespoons of beach sand from wherever we were staying, and put them in a box or bowl, usually hand carved stone - made by local artisans.

I do not believe that this in any way affects someone's enjoyment of the shells as I only take a few and they are from the ocean not the beach.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Florida
Florida
United States
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Where could you buy these items in Punta Cana

About the souvenirs, you won't have a hard time at all in Punta Cana. Just beware of the vendors, they are extremely aggressive -- Friendly, but aggressive.

As for shells, we didn't find even one shell on the beach in PC, but we've never had a problem bringing them back from other destinations.

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
7. Re: Where could you buy these items in Punta Cana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2011, 06:17