We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dealing w/ mosquitos

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
206 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
dealing w/ mosquitos

I keep hearing how awful the mosquitos in PC are this time of year. any suggestions as to what to bring w/ me for my trip there in 2 wks? should i pick up some citronella candles to burn IN my room and sleep in OFF? do they bite ya in the sun on the beach? sorry to sound stooooooopid, but I've never run into a mosquito problem in the tropics!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
580 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dealing w/ mosquitos

I'm one of those people the mozzies just love to bits. I've been back a few days and I'm still scratching. I've had over 30 bites in two weeks and probably donated around three pints of blood.

My advice is of course with the benefit of hindsight.

I recieved most of my bites as I slept. I later discovered that the hotel would spray the room for me. But I later bought my own bug spray from a local shop. Not cheap there, but money well spent. I sprayed the whole of the appt. Including inside wardrobes and under and behind furniture. The same in the bathroom. Giving the room a spray every couple of days is worthwhile. Leave windows shut, your room should have A/C.

Evenings and nights whilst out was the other favourite time for the little brats. I wished I'd done my homework before I left.

Some suncreams and aftersun include repellent. Avoid too much fragranced toilettries. Don't wear red would you believe, it attracts them. Wear socks, long trousers and sleeves if you can. Wear repellents. One night I covered myself in repellent, but as I'd washed my hands after a trip to the bathroom, I had bites on my hands the next day. If not of that works, as they are mainly attracted to carbon dioxide, don't breathe out!

All extreme I know so take what parts of the above you will find useful, but I am a bit unusual in how much the like me, maybe it's because it's only the female mosquitoe that does the biting I should be flattered?

Have a great time.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
264 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dealing w/ mosquitos

Chesire gave very good advice. Let me just add that it is unlikely you will have any problems with mozzies at the beach during the day. Also, most resorts drive around the grounds and spray with a fogger type thing that works pretty well in most cases, but for whatever reason (season/location?) I have been bitten at some resorts, and I am also a mosquito magnet. I purchase my repellant at a local camping/surplus store. It contains a high concentration of DEET, and I never get bitten when using it. I just put it on my clothing and very lightly on ankles and neck in the evenings if I find they are a problem at the resort where I am staying. I wouldn't want to use it every day of my life, but for a week or so I figure my body can deal with it. Have fun.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
133 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dealing w/ mosquitos

I too am a magnet. When we were there I just wore Skintastic by Off and it worked great. I hate the way Deep Woods and stuff smells. One night I did not have it on and I noticed the mesquitos a little bit, nothing too bad.

Styler, you'll be fine.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: dealing w/ mosquitos

Did any of you take the malaria meds? I am going the end of feb and already purchased my spray with 40% deet and plan on buying citronella candles for the room. Just not sure about the meds. I think i am opting not to take them. Opinions???

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
206 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dealing w/ mosquitos

thanks for all the advice.

be careful, FUNCOUPLE...i've heard that citronella is for OUTDOOR use, only;plus that smell can be nauseating!

A friend is giving me some sort of "medallion" that you keep in the freezer before you "activate" it...it's supposed to keep the skeeters away...anyone know about this?

Also, where can I buy another, since my hubby needs one, too.

Are there no screens on the windows? I can't understand why they should be such a problem!