We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A question for New York area travelers

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
A question for New York area travelers

I'm just about ready to book our next trip to Punta Cana and had an airport question. I live about equal distance (3 hours) from JFK and Newark and about 2.5 hours from Boston. Direct flights are limited out of Boston and my recent experience with traffic at JFK is discouraging me from flying from there again. My question is how is it getting into and out of Newark compared to JFK? Also are there any park, sleep and fly hotels in Newark near the airport that someone can recommend. Feel free to add any other comments that might be helpful.

Thanks!!

-Brugal

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
480 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A question for New York area travelers

Hi Brugal,

Never had the need to stay overnight in Newark. But, in terms of traffic congestions, EWR beats JFK hands down(espeically in your particular case- driving from MA)!! Also, parking and hotels should be a bit cheaper at EWR as well.

Edited: 29 October 2010, 20:05
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A question for New York area travelers

Thanks marlonsams. Good to hear. The 90 minutes just to get from JFK to the Whitestone a few weeks ago soured me a bit on JFK.

-Brugal

Winthrop, Maine
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A question for New York area travelers

Hola Brugal: Any express buses from where you are??? Here in Maine we hop on a Logan Express bus and they drop us off right at the terminal. We park our car at the bus depot for $3.00/day. It works out great so we don't have to drive the 3 hours to Logan.

Maybe they have a bus like that going to Logan or EWR from your place.

5 days from right now Cyndie & I will be at Dreams La Romana!!!

Take care.

Mike & Cyndie - The Maineacs

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A question for New York area travelers

Thanks for the idea Mike, I'll check into it.

Have a great trip!!

-Brugal

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A question for New York area travelers

Bump because this post seemed to have vanished. A ghostly Halloween trick maybe?? :-)

-Brugal

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: A question for New York area travelers

Maybe some Imperial or Brugal working "Ghostly" on ya, Marc?

ha ha

say hello to Your Princesses

Mike

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A question for New York area travelers

LOL. Not a drop last night Mike! I swear the board was acting weird for while. :-)

The girls say Hola back to you guys!

-Brugal

Connecticut
Level Contributor
403 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A question for New York area travelers

Brugal, we fly out of Newark. We are in Eastern CT (by Mohegan Sun). Getting to Newark is extremely simple. If there are big traffic issues on GWB, you can always shoot over to the Tappan Zee.

When I was looking into flights for last May, I did inquire about park and fly. There are several hotels in the vicinity and were relatively reasonable.

HTH!

Old Bridge, New...
Level Contributor
492 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A question for New York area travelers

I feel that Newark is a much easier place and traffic is a nonissue compared to JFK. And as another poster mentioned, if GWB is backed up, Tappan Zee is a great alternative, actually I prefer it better when going up that way for work.

Also, you may want to go check into the Newark forum, great info on parking and hotels that let you park and fly for free, which parking lots are questionable, etc

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: A question for New York area travelers

We just flew out of Newark and did a "Park & Fly" package at the Springhill Suites (on Rt 1 & 9) for around $120.00 for the stay (incl overnight room, parking & rd trip airport shuttle)-- was very nice too! Also adjacent was the Fairfield Inn & Suites and the Courtyard by Marriott. Hope this helps!