We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resorts with resturant reservations vs. no reservations

San Diego
Level Contributor
95 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Resorts with resturant reservations vs. no reservations

Planning a trip to Punta Cana for May next year. Have never stayed at an all inclusive before and I see some hotels do not have resturant reservations, it's first come first serve. Others require reservations and may limit you to the number of a la carte resturants you can eat at. For travelers that have stayed at both types of resorts, can you offer your oppions on which you prefer, and why?

Brooklin, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
13,252 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resorts with resturant reservations vs. no reservations

Welcome to the Punta Cana forums.

There can certainly be benefits to both ways of handling reservations at a la cartes.

The resorts we stay at have unlimited a la cartes - so for a 7 night stay, we can eat at the a la cartes each evening and if we want to eat at the same one every night, we could do that as well.

Personally, we prefer to prebook the a la cartes prior to our arrival at the resort with a predetermined reservation time - this way we have no waiting and no line up (particularily nice at the very popular a la cartes) once we arrive at the a la carte.

Out of the 7 nights, we only book a maximum of 4 a la cartes. The reason being is simply that we do not always want to be on a schedule (after all we are on vacation) and instead will use the buffet where we can walk in any time after 6:30 pm and stay as long as we wish. The food and the choices at the buffet is terrific as there is a different theme night every night with changes in the food courses to make it more interesting.

Hope this helps.

John

Brooklin (Bubba King)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Resorts with resturant reservations vs. no reservations

All my AI trips have required reservations until my last 2 vacations. I must say I've now been spoiled. I love being able to choose when, where and what I eat on the spur of the moment. I don't like living by a clock when I'm vacationing and my tummy isn't always hungry when my reservation has been booked or I may be starving waiting for a later time. Given a choice I'll always take a hotel that has a no reservation policy over one that I have to eat on a predetermined timetable.

San Diego
Level Contributor
95 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Resorts with resturant reservations vs. no reservations

John and Margadagio, thanks for the two different points of view. I think I'm leaning towards the no reservations, but will bring up both sides to the boss. I've been married long enough to know if you keep mamma happy, everyone stays happy.

manitoba
Level Contributor
76 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Resorts with resturant reservations vs. no reservations

SDCouple40s We stayed at Dreams Punta Cana in June 2010 that was the first time we have stayed at an AI that we didn't have to reserve alcarts. It is situated a bit further out approx 45min fm the airport . but we would defiantly go back. Headed to Iberostar PC in mid Jan

Ewing, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Resorts with resturant reservations vs. no reservations

margadagio said it perfectly!! No reservations is the way to go!!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
387 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Resorts with resturant reservations vs. no reservations

Personally, I prefer to have the reservations. If your day is such that you don't want to keep the reservation you can always cancel it and do the buffet. There are always people that will take your reservation. Also, there is usually one restaurant that is more popular then the others often causing long lines and wait times.

Vero Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Resorts with resturant reservations vs. no reservations

The Palladium uses a no-reservation policy at all their resorts. One of the reasons I vacation there. I do not like to be kept to a time schedule and have to rush to make a reservation. There is also no limit to how many times you visit any of the a la cartes during your stay.

I have found if you need to be seated immediately, you would have to arrive at the restaurant anywhere from 6 to 7pm, after that, you would be given a buzzer which will go off when your table is ready. There are so many a la cartes at the Palladium, plus 4 buffets every evening, that your choices of where to dine allow for you to eat at your leisure. Also, IMO, the food is very good.

Vero Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Resorts with resturant reservations vs. no reservations

I do agree, some more popular restaurants will require you to arrive early, example, the Sumptouri show table. You would definetely have to arrive early. If you are a guest of the Royal Suites Turquesa, your butler can arrange any reservations for you, this is the only section that allows a reservation.

Here is a link of all the restaurants and their menus if you decide to consider the Palladium

palladiumaddict.net/dominican-republic-punta…

On
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Resorts with resturant reservations vs. no reservations

both systems have their merits............but I prefer the no reservations even if I have to wait for a table.................I recall one Valentines day that I so wanted to dine at the Italian restaurant at the Palladium in the MR for the romance of dining on the outdoor terrace, the only reservation we could get was 9 pm which is much later then we usually eat...............DH took a nap, I sat on the balcony with a glass of wine and a good book...................as it got nearer to our reservation time I so did not want to get up and get ready and go out............DH was still sleeping................We ordered room service and I never did get to try that a la carte as we switched to the grand Palladium in PC after that trip. I much would have preferred the ability to get there early and wait for a table. as the above poster said the guests of the royal suites turquesa can make reservations and even though we stay in the royal suites we dont make reservations as we like to eat when we are ready to eat.

Terrace Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
633 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Resorts with resturant reservations vs. no reservations

Majestic Colonial, only 2 restaurants needed reservations,, and we did both.