We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

High season or Low (off) season

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Terrace Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
633 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
High season or Low (off) season

Hi, just wondering , when do you prefer to travel and why ?

Cortland, New York
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: High season or Low (off) season

I would definitely prefer to travel in low season, but since I am a teacher the decision is out of my control. But...retirement is on its way, and I will then be able to vacation whenever I like! That being said, high season allows us to meet other teachers who are also on vacation!

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: High season or Low (off) season

September thru April

Victoria, B.C...
Level Contributor
500 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: High season or Low (off) season

So, for the Domincan Republic, particularly Punta Cana (since travelers are from all over) - what is "high season" and what is "low/off season)?

Always wondered that.

Edited: 09 November 2010, 22:22
Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: High season or Low (off) season

Punta Cana run's Peak Travel Season Occupationwise from 1 week before x-mas Eve til 1 week after easter weekend.

the Time from after Easter til summer is by far not any Low Season,just most Resorts do not run full capacity that Time, but careful, some resorts are fully booked even til Summer.

real low Season for Punta Cana are the Months September and October, here occupancy at the Resorts is very Low, usually resorts run also Renovations during that Time Period, some restaurants/amenities may be closed temporarily.

November shows a good occupancy Rate for the Resorts, even not Full capacity, the first 1 1/2 weeks of December are again a short and very low Occupancy Time, and then right away Again the Peak Season starts.

Happy Travels

Mike

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: High season or Low (off) season

PI, good question because the line is blurred and it definitely makes a difference whether it is adults only or family resort.

Most in North America consider the winter months as high season and tend to travel to get out of the cold. Many Europeans travel in the summer time when they get longs vacations off work. Summer is peak for family travel. Our spring breaks, reading weeks are top travel periods after Christmas and New Years.

I think there are two off seasons to consider. May and June then September, October and November.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: High season or Low (off) season

May is quiet busy with Couples, Marg.

for example last week of May 2010 we've been at the Majestic Elegance and it was running on full capacity.

it also depends at which Resort You stay of course, some have a high occupancy rate 9 Months of the Year while others run High only during the very top Peak Times.

cheers

Mike

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,952 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: High season or Low (off) season

we prefer to travel February or March, we live in northern Alberta so it is our reward for making it through the long winter. We just pray that we don't come back to -30 weather like we did two years ago.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: High season or Low (off) season

Mike, You may be right about May, at least the adult only hotels or those that cater more towards adults. Catalonia Tulum was running full capacity last May but their family resort was only about 60%. The true slowest month anywhere must be September.

9. Re: High season or Low (off) season

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2011, 07:28