We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can the front desk hold valuables?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
532 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Can the front desk hold valuables?

I've seen two posts regarding security on this forum, one of which seemed highly preventable. I am in no way swayed by the posting of a few random acts of thievery, this goes on everywhere. If one were to worry about the security of valuables left in the room, even in the safe, is it possible to bring valuables (lap tops, cameras and such) to the concierge’s desk for safe keeping while away from the room?

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,848 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can the front desk hold valuables?

Not at any of the resorts I am aware of.

Havre St. Pierre...
Level Contributor
742 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can the front desk hold valuables?

That would make them responsible of your valuables, therefore, I don't think any hotel would do it.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
12,903 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can the front desk hold valuables?

Most resorts do have a safe but it is for internal use only. There have been rare circumstances ( a safe that does not work in a room for example) when the front desk will hold personal items.

Cheers

PCMike

Fredericton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Fredericton, St. John's
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can the front desk hold valuables?

Highly doubtit.

As mentioned already that would make the resort responsible for your stuff...

THat and if one person were allowed they would have to allow others....defeating the purpose of the in-room safes. Here is a link to an item that can attach onto most safes to make it safer.

http://www.milockie.com/

Best advice isdon't bring valuables!

Most resorts have computer areas for the guests to use.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
532 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can the front desk hold valuables?

I just had a thought, I'm leaving for the Excellence Punta Cana in 5 days. Tomorrow I will call my insurance agent and inquire about some kind of insurance policy that will protect me from any loss during my vacation. Does anyone know if such a policy exists?

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can the front desk hold valuables?

I think you can get insurance for almost anything...as long as you are willing to pay the premium, but why would you, when the chances of you getting robbed is about the same as winning the lottery.

New York
Level Contributor
4,126 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Can the front desk hold valuables?

I disagree....

If you bring expensive items with you, you will increase your chance of being robbed....

Insurance packages will probably be a waste b/c you will have to provide so much info to open a case and get covered for any items gone missing.... International cases are the hardest...

Leave your valubles and worries at home....

The only important advice on insurance to purchase I can give to you is to never travel with out International Medical Insurance. Your home coverage will not protect you if something serious should happen...

Peace

Lea

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,031 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can the front desk hold valuables?

My home pack comprehensive insurance allows for replacement of lost or stolen items, with a deductible and the loss of my "no claims" discount. As with any such claim, there's a lot of story telling and proof of ownership and proof of value and the insurer's determination of value of the item before reimbursement takes place. There is also the chance that they may decide that you hadn't shown due care in the loss of the item. Make sure that you have pictures documenting your ownership of the items (pictures of yourself with it/them) and that you have evidence that you did all that you could to safeguard them, and, if possible, don't bring anything that is of too much value that somebody behind a desk would say "why would they think they should bring their XXX on a beach vacation?"

Kaki

Arnprior
Level Contributor
731 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can the front desk hold valuables?

I agree with Lee, leave your valuables at home.

I know it is sometimes necessary to bring a laptop if you have to work but if you don't have to then leave it at home.

The only think that is in our safe when we are away is our passports and cash.

Never had a problem in 20 years.

Mississauga, Canada
13 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Can the front desk hold valuables?

I also have to agree with the majority here ... skip the additional insurance and leave your valuables at home. I never understood why people brought laptops on vacation anyway! It's kinda nice being "out of touch" for a few days, isn't it? ;)

Enjoy your vacation!