We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Serious Question About Cholera in DR

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Serious Question About Cholera in DR

Is there actually a cholera "outbreak" in the Domincian Republic?

After reading so much on TA about the outbreak, I've searched online and have found news stories about one confirmed case where the person was treated and released from the hospital. There has been one case in the US. To me, one case is not really an outbreak.

Are there more and I just am not finding the info?

I did see a glaring headline that said "US Confirms it's first case of cholera"....the implication being that there are many more to come (some internet news hack is a also a psychic I guess).

Where, other than in Haiti, is there an outbreak being reported?

muskoka ON
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Serious Question About Cholera in DR

Wouldn't consider the 1 case in either DR or Florida to represent an outbreak . . . They certainly are ASSOCIATED or LINKED to the current true outbreak in Haiti, but do not in their singularity and clear epidemiological link represent an outbreak of any type. Pure and simple fear mongering and media hype. Happens every time . . .

Outbreaks are generally declared when the number of cases identified (true idenitification) are in excess of the normal threshold numbers for the area, and if you can determine that there has been transmission in the area where the cases are identified. For example, Joe shows up with diarrhea, tests positive for cholera but has not travel history or history of contact with any individual from the affected area. Next day, 1 of Joes co-workers and 5 people who frequent the grocery store where Joe works in the produce section report with signs/symptoms compatible with cholera - that would make my alarm bells start . . .

Like with pH1N1 last year, here we knew it was only a matter of time before we started to identify community transmission - loosing the epidemiological link of "have you travelled to Mexico" . . .our first identified 'non travel/non personal contact' in fact triggered our pandemic outbreak response.

Here is the most up to date from CDC - nice clear information

cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5945a1.htm…

Happy Lunch

C

Edited: 18 November 2010, 17:27
Boston
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Serious Question About Cholera in DR

That's what I thought. There is a link, but the only place I'm hearing of an outbreak in DR is here....just wondering where that info comes from.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
90 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Serious Question About Cholera in DR

I don't consider it an outbreak in DR. While it wouldn't stop me from making vacation plans, it's certainly something to keep an eye on. Here's an interesting link to what they think could spread cholera in the DR: …foxnews.com/latino/…

muskoka ON
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Serious Question About Cholera in DR

I guess it started when CNN announced that "Cholera Jumps the Boarder" . . . don't know if there was special banners, graphics and creepy music to accompany that <g>

People will hear (and very often read) selective bits of anything . . . they likely heard "Cholera" and "Dominican Republic" or "Punta Cana" in the same sentance, didn't bother to read down to the next paragraph where it very cleary states that the gentleman (and wow - identifying him in the press is really different than our Canadian or US practices!!!) had been to an affected area in Haiti, and immediately started to panic. Add to that the overwhelming support of an outbreak here and there you go.

Buffalo, New York
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
937 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Serious Question About Cholera in DR

I too wondered if there was an "Outbreak" so I check the World Health Organization website - and to my finding there is no "Outbreak" in the DR but one confimed person who has it.

Guess I will be keeping my plans and will be there next Friday!!

muskoka ON
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Serious Question About Cholera in DR

Thanks for the link sjrzygrl

Perhaps a prudent measure, but in reality, contamination of food from vendors on the street is not limited to cholera. Staph aureus, strep, ecoli and hep A can all be found under those conditions. Prevention would be best focused on providing hand hygiene and food handling education, at least as much as you can.

I would question though, if the vendors are not bringing the food from Haiti, and are not commuting back and forth every day, and there is no cholera in the areas where the vendors are selling, is there a risk? Pinning it all on cholera is just unfair to that poor bacteria LOL

C

Boston
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Serious Question About Cholera in DR

Like I said, the headline for the one case in Florida made a very clear implication that this was the start of a pandemic, which is outrageous. One case of a disease is not even worthy of news unless the media is trying to scare people.

So there are people now trying to stock up on medications, thinking of cancelling vacations, getting scared and nervous, all because some internet "news" source can predict the future course of disease.

All the more fascinating when you consider that a lot of the internet news we get is from some fat comic book guy working from his parents basement.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
90 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Serious Question About Cholera in DR

amazing that the stupid media has that much of an effect on tourism

muskoka ON
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Serious Question About Cholera in DR

I remember during the SARS issue here, each and every morning I would devote an hour to crusing the various media sites - from reputable to the not so - to get a sense of what the staff and community would be hearing and/or reading that day. That way I wasn't blindsided when one of the staff refused to come to work because they had read that cats could transmit the illness - thank god I'd read some obscure blog which did indicate that China was looking into a link between Cornavirus transmission and the civit cat that lives there. Of all the stories our local media could have picked up . . .

Same when pH1N1 landed . . . sadly, during these situations we spend way more time trying to dispell media inaccuracy than proactively planning prevention and surveillance activities . . . cause goodness knows, if it's on the interwebs it must be so

C

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Serious Question About Cholera in DR

right,

it's the same when some clouds near the African West Coast start to produce some Rain, it starts to tell everywhere that a Hurricane will hit the whole caribbean, CNN right away provides numbers of Billions of $$$ of Damage awaited to be caused etc etc etc, even that most from there never make their way over the big water to hit finally the caribbean, specially Not Punta Cana, but perople Panic and cancel their Travels etc etc,

the latest shown in our local News this afternoon been 2 cases for the whole DR, no mentioning that anybody caught it on DR Soil nor any mentioning of any contaminated Dominican waters or such.

the same for the US, they have 1 case as far as I found in the News during the last Days, no mentioning that the Person caught C in Florida nor that the Everglades would be Contaminated now, but People Panic, even flights get canceled etc.

weird world,

it shows that the Educational/Informative Level of most Countries is in reality not half as High/Big/Good as stated.

10 Years of school Visits with a certificate mean in so many cases clearly nothing of value.

I am sure we will get more cases reported in our Country the next weeks and months, and other countries will receive such reposrts about Cases on their Grounds, too, that's Inevitable on something such as Cholera, but the best possible Preventive measures are beeing taken by hopefully all countries in touch with poor Haiti, so those Infected Persons can get detected and receive propper medical assistance. when detected on Time in most cases C is no big Deal and effected Persons are back to their old Powers quickly.

what makes C so dangerous for a Country like Haiti are the poor Health and Sanitary Conditions there with Millions of People living simply out on the streets, in Tent Camps, in the Bushes.

such Situation is not present in other Countries in the western Hemisphere, so the Outcomes will be very different to the Situation in haiti.

til this Moment there is a C Outbreak in Only ONE Country, and that is Haiti.

the DR and the USA only got visited by Infected Persons and provide them the propper medical Assitance.

Happy Travels

Mike