We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should I go in the Dominican Republic

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boothwyn...
Level Contributor
347 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Where should I go in the Dominican Republic

I was in the DR a few years ago and was in Puerto Plata. I was not impressed with the water in that area. I am used to Mexican Caribbean beautiful blue waters. I know that there are parts of the Dominican Republic that has beautiful waters. Where would that be. I'd like to give the DR another chance. Is there a reef near any of the beaches?

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
432 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where should I go in the Dominican Republic

Hey Dog:

I have only been to Punta Cana, so can only comment on that. The water there is beautiful. It is many shaeds of blue. It is on the Atlanytic side , so there are some waves. Some resorts have reefs that lessen this and I am sure that you can find out those resorts.

The La Ramana side of the island is the Carribean. It would be calm, blue etc. I have never been there, but I understand the resorts are older. Again, you can garner the info you need on these areas from others on the forum or the La Romana forum.

Cheers.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,031 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where should I go in the Dominican Republic

Depending on what you want from your beach and water, the La Romana coast and Punta Cana are similar and different. Along the Caribbean shore at Bayahibe the beaches aren't as long and the water is usually calmer compared to Punta Cana. The snorkeling is better though.

If you can give or take on those matters, some other things might be relevant. What I like about Bayahibe is the proximity to places like Santo Domingo (2 hours away compared to almost 4 hours to Punta Cana) and being able to see the sun set into the sea. If you're a morning person and would rather see the sun coming out of the ocean, PC might be preferable.

There has been so much growth in PC and it's now a sea of resorts so many are new, and newer than those in Bayahibe, but there are only a select half dozen hotels in that south coast area. I like being able to walk to a village more than walking down the beach past a dozen hotels but lots of people like to scope out their next vacation. Those half dozen hotels have almost all undergone extensive renovations so old they are in parts, but new rooms and restaurants and pool areas make it feel like it's fresh while having mature gardens.

Many of the south coast resorts are more expensive so if you can afford the price point and are interested in something different, it may be worth a look. If you then see a couple of hotels that look interesting, I'd be happy to guide you on their differences. Of course you will have tons more selection in Punta Cana with 100 hotels to choose from.

Kaki

Terrace Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
633 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where should I go in the Dominican Republic

Call me crazy, iv only been to the Dominican Republic once,( will be back tho ) but from what iv read and what friends have told me, id pick punta cana over puerto plata, simply because PP seems more of a party place, PC seems more of the type of place to just' get away and relax,'

it all depends on what kind of vaca your looking for,, im still new to this, can someone correct me if im wrong...

Cindy

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,530 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where should I go in the Dominican Republic

If it's a great beach you want, go with Punta Cana. The beach goes on forever, has beautiful turquoise water and the Punta Cana area has a nice relaxed vibe to it in my opinion. If you want activities there are a number of excursions that are available - I would recommend one of PC Mike's tours.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
179 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where should I go in the Dominican Republic

Have you thought about going to the SAMANA peninsula. We stayed in the Gran Bahia Principe EL PORTILLO and the beach was miles long, extremely beautiful, with calem waters outside the hotel, and fish swimming round your feet. It was really nice. Not all the hotels in Samana peninsula have such a good beach. But this one is one of the best.

Heike

Boothwyn...
Level Contributor
347 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where should I go in the Dominican Republic

Thanks for all your replies. Is La Romana and Bayahibe 2 differtent places? That is where I would be most interested in going. I want calm waters, clear beautiful waters, beautiful sunsets, snorkeling off the beach is a must. I'll look into the hotels in that area but if anyone has any suggestions that would be great. Thanks.

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where should I go in the Dominican Republic

Doggroomer

La Romana is 30 min away from Bayahibe. Most of the resorts are actually in Bayahibe with nice beaches and crystal clear water. People get confused as their is a resort called Dreams La Romana which is very popular but is actually based in Bayahibe.

There is another resort Gran Bahia Principe La Romana which is close to La Romana but located at the other side. The problem with this hotel is that is right on a mouth of river and water can get 'cloudy' by the river

Ontario,Canada
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where should I go in the Dominican Republic

south side is really beautiful,, far more so then mexico,, dreams or iberostar would be my recommendation

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,031 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where should I go in the Dominican Republic

The greater area is La Romana, which is the name of the nearby big city and international airport. It's also a province, but the area where the resorts are isn't even in the La Romana province (the exit to the resorts is just outside the provincial line). It's been used for years to describe the zone since people could find La Romana on a map easier than a fishing village.

Bayahibe has grown in reputation over the years as those of us who've traveled there for a while have been using the correct name and as it has grown in popularity as well. Hotels have expanded and new projects have popped up off-resort. This was all evidenced when TripAdvisor introduced the Bayahibe forum after years of having only a La Romana forum.

Once you get away from the Bayahibe/La Romana confusion, we introduce Dominicus. At the actual village of Bayahibe you only find the hotel Dreams La Romana. On the Dominicus beach 10 minutes away are the bulk of the local resorts. Dominicus was developed as a townsite based on the local tourism, where Bayahibe has been a fishing village for over a 100 years. You still won't find Dominicus on most maps, but it's a designation which helps to identify the area of the hotel, so people don't think that they can walk down the beach to visit a friend at Dreams in Bayahibe.

I've been to all of the hotels in the area and enjoyed my time at each. In some cases, you do assign the description "for the money" or "considering what you get" to a glowing review, but Dreams La Romana doesn't have as many of those. It should be priced higher than the other hotels and usually is, but you will periodically find it cheaper than the Iberostar.

I haven't had the opportunity to create albums for all of the hotels, but you can see

Dreams La Romana at travel.webshots.com/album/571911788ekjEgi and travel.webshots.com/album/577875082dmpOkO

Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus at travel.webshots.com/album/574265226pmnyRD

Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach (with some of the Palace) at travel.webshots.com/album/561366076rYImst

Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace at travel.webshots.com/album/578598236XxeDaj

Catalonia Gran Dominicus at travel.webshots.com/album/566219867FRvrBt

You can see some of Bayahibe at travel.webshots.com/album/576079760GSSGxZ and travel.webshots.com/album/563221847ytecdr

I'd be happy to help you with any questions you might have.

Kaki

Hammond, Louisiana
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Where should I go in the Dominican Republic

We went to Punta Cana in April of this year. Stayed at the Moon Palace which is now the Hard Rock, we are members. When we stayed it was pretty quite, large but easy to get around. I would imagine with the name change, it will be a little more lively than it was when we went.

Service was not as good as at the other Palace Resorts, but still better than most resorts. Food was good and rooms were very clean. The resort is only about a year old. Extremely nice spa.

The beach was wonderful and went on forever. Water was calm and extremely clean. When you got out, it was like getting out of a shower. The area outside the resort is poor and they haven't built it up yet, so we stayed at the resort.

They are currently offering a $1500 resort credit and a $700 airfare credit, but not sure how much longer it will be available.