We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Be Live Canoa.. ok for solo traveller ?

Paisley, United...
Level Contributor
991 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Be Live Canoa.. ok for solo traveller ?

I am thinking about a trip to Punta Cana in March for what would have been hubbys 50th birthday. We were going to do it together but since he is no longer with me I am thinking of doing it alone .

How is this resort for a woman on her own , is there anything nearby?

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Be Live Canoa.. ok for solo traveller ?

Hi,

I can not commend on this resort as I have not been there but as a solo traveller I do want to say that I have always felt safe and have always enjoyed myself in any resort.

Do not hesitate to go by yourself and pick a place that you fancy. As far as I know most, if not all resorts have enough guards on the beach and wandering around alone at night is no problem.

I personally really enjoyed the two Majestic's (Colonial and Elegance). I loved the open plan bathroom and the Jacuzzi in the bedroom.

I also find I really like adults only resorts for my travels alone.

Hope this has helped. Enjoy!

Amy

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,039 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Be Live Canoa.. ok for solo traveller ?

I stayed at this hotel alone and had a good time. I did some activities and hung out and enjoyed the shows and ate without feeling awkward alone. They have a few mini golf holes which would've been fun with a friend, but apparently not enough that I made an effort to find somebody to do it with. If you're familiar and comfortable with traveling alone, you'll do great there. If this is your first time, you'll likely meet with a few personal challenges, but it won't be due to anything at the hotel. If you're looking for friends, find the concierge girls when they're having a minute of down time. They're excellent. The central bar off the lobby is a comfortable place to spend hours reading and enjoying the heat and their well mixed drinks, and the beach is beautiful but you'll want to get there early in the day if you're particular about where you set up your spot for the day. Enjoy the walk in both directions once you leave the hotel's beach, but don't venture too far into the National Park if alone since you don't know what you might encounter in the way of bugs or ANYthing and there will be nobody to help you.

There's not so much in the immediate area, but a short bus ride away is the townsite of Dominicus (the bus stops outside the hotel gate) and 10 minutes away is the village of Bayahibe.

You can fly into Punta Cana for this hotel (I usually do) but you should know that the hotel isn't in the Punta Cana area. If you do a package, your transfer will be included and they'll take care of your getting to the hotel and back to the airport, but it is 90 minutes from the Punta Cana airport. Well worth it for the ability to see the sun set into the Caribbean nightly and the snorkeling opportunities in the area, but if you favour a 20 minute airport transfer, this isn't the hotel for you if you fly into Punta Cana. It is 20 minutes away from the La Romana airport though, or the Be Live Punta Cana is 20 minutes from the PC airport, but I dont' think that it is quite as great for the solo traveler just by the layout.

Kaki

Paisley, United...
Level Contributor
991 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Be Live Canoa.. ok for solo traveller ?

thanks for all the info girls .. will be my first time going solo, so not sure what to expect!!

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Be Live Canoa.. ok for solo traveller ?

It really is what make of it but if the though apeals then I can not see why you will be disapointed!

I love not having to discuss when to have lunch or weather to lay a bit more in the sun. It seems petty but it is a real free feeling.

I always end up meeting great people but also a few 'disaster tourists' who feel like they need to help out that poor lonely soul all alone at the bar. It is their own fear that they reflect upon you but boy is it fun to meet those too.

There are many great things about going alone like never sitting in the fumes of your partners no.2 ha ha.

But also finding that great spot on the beach is much easier when you only need one chair. You glass is never empty as (bar) staff always have atention for you. The bed is all yours and you will never end up at the Japanese when you really did prefer he Italian.

There are a few draw back's though:

You cant rub lotion on your own back and there is no one around to point out that nice butterfly to or to complain to when you just stubbed your toe.

All in all I can say that I have met many women on this forum who really loved their time alone at a resort.

I find that because you chat less you see more, somehow I absorb my travel, my food, my drink, my view more as you shaer it al with yourself.

Amy

Edited: 12 December 2010, 20:47
5. Re: Be Live Canoa.. ok for solo traveller ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2011, 06:19