We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any tips/suggestions- going SOON to Punta Cana Princess A-S

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
Any tips/suggestions- going SOON to Punta Cana Princess A-S

We are going for 2 weeks, we are Canadian, we are bringing American money.

For 2 weeks, how much do we need for tips?

What currency did you use For tips?

We are doing 2 excursions and a few on resort things such as para sailing-

Do we pay for those in American?

What did you use credit cards for and was it safe?

Was there any trouble with the room safe?

Can your bring back art work and did it make it?

What did you bring back? What about bringing coffee back?

What can you tell us about customs?

What did you have trouble bringing back?

Do men have to wear covered toe shoes? and long pants?

Is there zip lining close by?

How long is the trip to get to snorkeling excursions?

What was the beach like in terms of "FLAG" days.

What do you recommend for us on this trip?

Give us tips, or any suggestions that you think will be helpful!This is for our 26th anniversary. We want it to be special!

Wallaceburg, Canada
Level Contributor
95 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any tips/suggestions- going SOON to Punta Cana Princess A-S

We returned from the PCP a month ago. We loved the resort!

We spent at least $10 US per day for tipping. The service is so fantastic you will want to tip everyone!

We booked a 1/2 day dune buggy tour through our Sunwing rep and it was $65 US each. We had the cash but decided to use our credit card instead. That was a mistake. When I got home I checked my statement and it was $158 Canadian!!!

We had no trouble with our room safe. It was the type where you create your own 4 digit code.

The guys did wear long pants at the a la cartes (except Mare Nostrum) but they wore sandals - not covered toe shoes.

Hope this helps..

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
14,869 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any tips/suggestions- going SOON to Punta Cana Princess A-S

US$ definitely for tips and excursions

Paintings, coffee and carvings are no problems to Canada.

Snorkelling is typically 1/2 hour away

Do men have to wear covered toe shoes? and long pants? depends on the resort.

Is there zip lining close by? around an hour away

Edited: 11 December 2010, 22:34
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any tips/suggestions- going SOON to Punta Cana Princess A-S

thanks for the response...looking at how much to budget for tips thanks

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any tips/suggestions- going SOON to Punta Cana Princess A-S

my husband really wanted to do the zip lining, we may not it it is an hour away thanks so much...never been before so any information is welcome is so appreciated. Thank you I want to bring back some art and coffee, I heard it is awesome!

Terrace Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
633 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any tips/suggestions- going SOON to Punta Cana Princess A-S

Make sure you get the coffee in the white bag, the other stuff in the red and black bag, that they served at our resort sucked so bad i couldnt even drink it, an i can pretty much drink ANY coffee

Cindy :)

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,039 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any tips/suggestions- going SOON to Punta Cana Princess A-S

The beach conditions vary through the year and with weather systems. You can see a sampling of what I had when there in August at travel.webshots.com/album/578403648VtHikO

Kaki

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any tips/suggestions- going SOON to Punta Cana Princess A-S

thanks, I LOVE COFFEE, and want to bring some good stuff back for our friends that can't come with us!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,544 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any tips/suggestions- going SOON to Punta Cana Princess A-S

Definitely get the white bag of coffee that says Santo Domingo on it......we used US$ for tipping and how much you bring will depend on how much you tip and who you tip. We left a couple of US dollars for housekeeping, a dollar or 2 at the buffet and $5 at the a la cartes and then tipped the bartender every couple of drinks etc.........

We did not have any trouble with the room safe, it worked just fine. We brought back art work and took with us on board as I didn't want to check it in and risk it getting ruined. We haven't had any issues at customs and we always bring back coffee, artwork etc.

Men do have to wear long pants and closed shoes for the a la cartes.

Have a fantastic time - we were at the PCP in March and are returning on Jan 1st for 17 days and can't wait - this is our fav resort to date.

Ontario
Level Contributor
268 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any tips/suggestions- going SOON to Punta Cana Princess A-S

When will you be there whitesandenvy (how soon is soon)? We arrive Wednesday afternoon (Dec. 15) for 2 weeks. 5th time there over the same period. In the years we have been there we have never experienced a "Reg Flag" day (Yet).

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any tips/suggestions- going SOON to Punta Cana Princess A-S

Ok lol... we are not going as soon as you, we are going in Feb, will be there for valentines day(hehe) ....It is coming up fast for me, I just want to be prepared so we can have a wonderful time. I am getting excited and nervous at the same time! Thank you for the tip on the brand of coffee, to those above, and for the art tip. How much "about" is an art piece, painting/ carving?

I want to tip the maid daily, and each bar tender at least once a day, and the restaurants by each meal. Does anyone tip excursions, or is that ok not to?

I was hoping to carry art on board, I have seen some lovely bright art in some of the pictures taken by tourist. It is beautiful, I hope to find some. Do they sell art only in the city or is there some closer to the resort(s)?