We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fins for snorkeling ?? Do we bring them or they lend them ??

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Quebec
Level Contributor
108 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Fins for snorkeling ?? Do we bring them or they lend them ??

Leaving early morning for Catalonia Royal, I know they have snorkeling on site .. they lend masks and tubas but fins too or we stick them in the luggage(heavy)

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fins for snorkeling ?? Do we bring them or they lend them ??

I always bring my mask and snorkel and leave the fins home. Most resorts have them for your use at no charge.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,034 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fins for snorkeling ?? Do we bring them or they lend them ??

Most hotels limit the amount of time that you can borrow their free supplies so if you anticipate going out for an hour long float and snorkel, you have to keep an eye on the clock which I find irritating. If 30 minutes sounds about right for you, you're good. Also, you don't always need fins to snorkel. The salt water is very helpful in keeping you supported, it just takes longer to get around without the fins. I prefer the fins, but often just use water shoes (I'm NOT a strong swimmer at all).

For those keeping track, I also bring my own mask and tube not wanting to use the same ones that others have had in their mouths ("cleaned" or not).

Kaki

Quebec
Level Contributor
108 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fins for snorkeling ?? Do we bring them or they lend them ??

thanks! that helps! I 've read that they lend you equipment for an hour but wasn't sure about the fins and they really weigh!

Barrie, Ontario
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fins for snorkeling ?? Do we bring them or they lend them ??

If you have good equipment, bring them as most resorts have very used stuff. Then you can snorkel for hours if you wish.

Canada
Level Contributor
513 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fins for snorkeling ?? Do we bring them or they lend them ??

A leaky mask that doesn't fit properly would be a huge aggravation and disappoint so, at minimum, I'd bring my own tried and true mask.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Fins for snorkeling ?? Do we bring them or they lend them ??

People who have their own Mask and Tube should bring them, it is quiet different with the own Gear you are used to than with lent Gear.

as far as Fins, they are quiet large and heavy for the suitcase, I would not pack them.

at shallow waters such as at the Catalonia you would not need fins to come around, you do not need to swim/paddle long distances to reach a Spot, so Fins are not a urgent "must use".

Happy Snorkling

Mike

Ottawa area
Level Contributor
156 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Fins for snorkeling ?? Do we bring them or they lend them ??

We pack our mask, snorkel and fins in a separate light suitcase. Most carriers allow Scuba gear… we just claim it as "Scuba gear" without the tanks.

Better to check with your carrier though...

Westjet website state this:

The following items may be accepted when appropriately packaged:

Scuba gear

Rachel

Midland, Canada
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fins for snorkeling ?? Do we bring them or they lend them ??

We always take our "Short Fins' . They are only half the size of regular fins and do not take up much room in the bag and work very good.

Ottawa area
Level Contributor
156 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Fins for snorkeling ?? Do we bring them or they lend them ??

Forgot to mention there are new rules with Westjet for sporting equipment.

20$ for 2nd bag (ie. Sports equipment) - This fee is applicable for flights booked on or after November 3, 2010, for all flights on or after January 19, 2011.

Whereas Canjet still allows Sporting Equipment for FREE. Better check with your carrier.

Ellicott City MD
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fins for snorkeling ?? Do we bring them or they lend them ??

Make sure you have some cash with you.

They sometimes require a $20 deposit for the gear so you bring the stuff back!