We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Medical care

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
209 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Medical care

How is the medical care for americans? We were last in punta in 2007 n it was non existent. Traveling with a toddler need to know if any of the resorts have drs at the resorts or nearby?

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Medical care

A lot of resorts have doctors available.

Toronto
Level Contributor
282 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Medical care

We were in Punta Cana at Dreams Palm Beach over Christmas with our kids. There was a doctor onsite 24 hours a day.

If you have not booked your trip yet, check out Dreams Palm Beach. It is great for little ones and everything is very convenient - there are no trolleys as everything is 2 minutes away.

Definately get trip insurance. My husband got a bug (the rest of us were fine) and needed an iv in the hospital. You never know what can happen and it's always better to be covered.

Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Medical care

Zoeylola, could you tell me where you got your travel insurance?

Thanks

Dana

Toronto
Level Contributor
282 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Medical care

I'm in Toronto. I get a yearly plan from my insurance co., Meloche Monnex and the broker is Expert financial security Inc

It covers my family of 4 for as many trips we take during a calendar year and costs $128. It's a great plan.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,031 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Medical care

Most hotels have a doctor on-site. The smaller or more economy minded ones have a doctor within a phone call's distance. They are all fully trained and do a good job for the basics that they encounter, and have resources in the private clinics for things beyond their GP domain. They have some medicines on-site and have access to more with a bit of time.

I use Travel Guard which covers those all over the world, you just have to make sure that you are in the right website. www.travelguard.ca; www.travelguard.com and more. They show you the compare and contrast with other major insurers so you can see the deal you're getting without losing benefits. When I've seen the similar comparison on other sites referencing the price of the Travel Guard package, they have incorrectly inflated that price to makes themselves look better so if you find a good price elsewhere, go into the Travel Guard site too if just for a quote.

Kaki

Barrie, Ontario
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Medical care

Yes doctors are available, but depending on the time of day, not always onsite. Do you have a pre-exsisting condition that maybe you should alert the resort at check-in.

7. Re: Medical care

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2011, 06:18