We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time of the year to go to Punta Cana??

Minnesota
3 posts
Save Topic
Best time of the year to go to Punta Cana??

We are going to start planning out destination wedding in Punta Cana and was wondering what the best time of the year and cost effective time of the to go is??

We live in Minnesota, so our winter months would desireable for guests I think (escape the cold for a while), but we are looking for about 1 1/2 years away before we will be able to go, so that would put is at June. But I also don't want to go there when it is super muggy and hot, as some guest will not be able to tolerate that.

Any thoughts you have would be great..

Thanks!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time of the year to go to Punta Cana??

Our preference is to head to Punta Cana either in December, January or February. It allows us to escape the cold for a week and the weather is usually pretty darn good in PC. I am not a fan of heading south in the summer. I kinda feel like I am throwing my money away as the weather at home is really good......minus the great beach!

Fredericton, NB
Level Contributor
292 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time of the year to go to Punta Cana??

We like to go sometime during first two weeks of April.

Like you we have cold winters here and lots of snow.

We find if we leave around the first or second week of April we can notice a change in the weather at home when we return. Even if it is still winter when we return there is only a two or three week wait until spring and just a month or so until the campgrounds and golf courses open. The April departure gives us something to look forward to during the coldest months and makes winter a little more bearable.

We travelled one year in Feb. and returned to face 10 more weeks of snow and cold. Terrible, we were not really sick of winter when we left but sure were by time spring came. Almost seemed we had not been away by time the snow melted. By mid-April we were ready for another trip south!

Edited: 02 January 2011, 15:34
ALLENTOWN
Level Contributor
586 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time of the year to go to Punta Cana??

We always go last week of Oct. and never had bad weather. Some rain at nite but never a problem.

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time of the year to go to Punta Cana??

Avoid May.......tends to be the month with the most rain. Mar and April are good, but so is Oct and Nov. Summer months you are playing roulette with possible hurricane activity. Weather is never guarenteed..........you might want to look at historical reports for what the months average temps and rainfall are so that you can guage.

Happy planning.....our daughter is getting married there in April 2012 at the PCP.

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time of the year to go to Punta Cana??

Best deals are in September and October.

Best weather in february.

murillo
Level Contributor
6,435 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time of the year to go to Punta Cana??

We live 3 hours north of Duluth Min. we like the last week of Feb . , first week of Mar.Seems to break the winter up. Don't like to go the second week of Mar. spring break, i think the most expensive time is Mar. break for your area . Judging the last 2 years of weather , good luck guessing the temps.Last Mar. it rained 3 out of 10 days in PC, and it was 50 degrees at home, usually -35 ? and yes i know theres a truck coming behind me

Edited: 02 January 2011, 17:37
Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time of the year to go to Punta Cana??

Hi, we went 21st November until 5th December we had 2 days of wind when we first arrived but the resy of the 2 weeks it was lovely and hot.

Barrie, Ontario
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time of the year to go to Punta Cana??

End of Nov would be good, as it's not as humid. The weather back home will not be great, and 80+ degrees is nice for a wedding.

Fredericton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Fredericton, St. John's
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best time of the year to go to Punta Cana??

...anytime!!!!!!

Aurora, Canada
Level Contributor
501 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best time of the year to go to Punta Cana??

I used to travel in the Fall but now prefer April.......days are much longer....