We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone been over limit at Canadian customs?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
calgary
Level Contributor
415 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone been over limit at Canadian customs?

Just wondering if you have brought back more rum than allowed? I'd like to bring back four 700 or 750 ml bottles. A couple rum and a couple Barcelo Cream. Is the duty a lot?

Thanks for your help.

Debra

22 more sleeps!

Terrace Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
633 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone been over limit at Canadian customs?

All i know is your allowed to bring back 40 oz of liquor, it may also depend on which border crossing, well im assuming your flying into the country, we flew into the states and drove back to Canada, our border crossing didnt even ask us what we purchased, but i went over the 40 oz limit once for a day trip and was only charged $ 20

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
14,841 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone been over limit at Canadian customs?

1.14 litres of alcohol and depending on the customs agent, some will let you go if you are over, tell them what you have and be prepared to pay the duty.

Many times I have brought back more than is allowed.

Orangeville, Canada
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone been over limit at Canadian customs?

I pack my rum I buy down there in my suit case and then buy more at the duty free and pack in my carry on. They have asked to see what I bought and I just show them what is in my carry on and off I go. Even if you have to pay the duty it is probably no more than if you bought it here.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone been over limit at Canadian customs?

Be honest. Not only will your booze be confiscated if caught but you may face a fine too. What is worse is your name will be put into the computer and you'll be hauled aside to be checked on every return to Canada you make from then on.

Everyone is different but my time is worth more than a cheap bottle of rum.

On
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone been over limit at Canadian customs?

I always claim what I have bought and have been over the limit and have not been charged duty when flying into Toronto. better to declare what you have, my aunt was charged when they did not properly declare when driving across the boarder.

Montreal
Level Contributor
261 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone been over limit at Canadian customs?

on time driving back we stopped at duty free and they had a 2 for 1 deal on booze so me and my buddy eached grabbed 2 bottles each.. told the customs guy and he said your only supposed to have one each and i said well it was 2 for 1 and he let me go but said next time get a bottle each

and flying back we braught 3 bottles with the 2 of us and the customs guy didnt care he was pretty cool though. one of the best ive met so far. wish i could get him all the time lol

but ya i would claim what i got every time just to not get put in the system and get hassled all the time

Midland, Canada
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone been over limit at Canadian customs?

The duty will equal the cost of buying it here if not a few dollars more. Unless it is something that you can not buy here, it is not worth the cost.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone been over limit at Canadian customs?

I have been over my limit most times. The most I ever brough back was six bottles of rum. I always tell the customs officer the truth about my purchases as I do not want to get caught lying and risk paying a fine. I have never had to pay extra duty. Perhaps I have been lucky. I still believe that honesty is the best policy!

Terrace Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
633 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anyone been over limit at Canadian customs?

Ok so what do you do if you didnt actually pay for the rum, but won it in contests at the resorts" drunken" games ?

calgary
Level Contributor
415 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Has anyone been over limit at Canadian customs?

I would never be dishonest with customs. I was just wondering how much people had to pay extra. Wondering if it is worth it to bring back extra. I don't think I can get Barcelo Cream here in Canada so will bring extra of that for sure. As for rum..not likely than.

Thanks,

Debra