We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta cana Mikes tours & Money

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
563 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Punta cana Mikes tours & Money

I've heard that Mike & Dave's 'Higuey Circle tours' are exceptional! How do you book in advance...does anyone have his e mail address? How does most people pay? I hear that when you cash a t/cheques and get their Peso.....you can't turn it in for US any time later....and when you pay for ANYTHING in US $ you get the change in their Peso...and NOT in US$ Is that true? So, I guess one has to take lots of US 1's for tips (especially for the a la carts) and maids. What kind of 'little gifts' do they like, any suggestions....besides school supplies for the school. Any help on the above would be helpfull and appreciated. Thanks.

Stayhappyrd
Sightseeing Tours
Punta Cana Mike's Private Dominican Adventure
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
CultourAll
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
MINItoursDR
Sightseeing Tours
Ellicott City MD
Level Contributor
2,914 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Punta cana Mikes tours & Money

http://puntacanamike.webs.com/

It is best to bring US$

I highly recommend this tour. Mike is great!!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
563 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Punta cana Mikes tours & Money

Did you book in advance...Is that necessary? When you pay in US $ would you get change back in US....what about elsewhere? You're suggesting to just bring all US Cash....not t/ cheques?? We're going for a month.

Ellicott City MD
Level Contributor
2,914 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Punta cana Mikes tours & Money

Bring cash because travelers checks will be changed out for pesos.

Mikes tour books up fast so I would check availability soon.

Okotoks, Canada
Level Contributor
226 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Punta cana Mikes tours & Money

Yes, check availibility well ahead of time.

Here is Mike's e-mail:

puntacanamike@gmail.com

Terrace Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
633 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Punta cana Mikes tours & Money

Also bring candy for the kids at the school, they liked that the best. Mikes tour was alot of fun, go to his site and book thru there, u HAVE to book in advance with his tour.

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
4,989 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Punta cana Mikes tours & Money

We booked with Mike for the Boca de Yuma tour in November for March 29th. You don't pay him until the tour is over. But he books up really fast. Good luck, Bring US $1 for tipping and US cash for some excursions, then take your bank card and take local peso's out of the ATM for other purchases. We do not take travellers checks, most desks will not cash them, and why worry about finding a place where you can. Our bank here told us that they had gone the way of the dinosaur. If you only take out what you need from the ATM you should not have too many left at the end of your trip. And if you do there are places at the aiports usually to exchange them back to US $, we just bring anything home and keep it until next year.

Just be sure to let your bank know that you are going to be in the DR. So they don't shut off your card thinking it has been stolen.

When are you going?

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Punta cana Mikes tours & Money

the Tours done by Mike and Dave are great.

you can pay your Tourrate in US$ and You get Your change back in US$ by them, not a wory about that.

forget Travelers Cheques,

as mentioned above, they are the Dinosaurs Today's.

for tipping or paying for excursions, bring US$ Currency.

if you pay a excursion at a Touroperator's Desk in Dominican Pesos they will grab you hard with their exchange rates on such, the tours are all always prized in US$.

as the OP is visiting for a whole Month, I would recommend to bring a amount of US$ currency for the planned excursions, the rest should be taken in Dominican Pesos from the ATM's for shopping etc.

Happy Travels

Mike

Nyack, New York
Level Contributor
261 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Punta cana Mikes tours & Money

I emailed Mike and he got back to me right away - I set up one of the tours for my friend and myself for one of the days I will be down in the last week of January - no problem!

Berrien Springs...
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Punta cana Mikes tours & Money

Just booked my trip with Mike today for the half day tour. I have been wanting to go since 2008, but no one in our group wanted to go, so this year as it is only my family, my oldest daughter and myself are going, and I can hardly wait.

misshazel9, candy ok for the children? Approx., how many in the school. My daughter wants to teach, so she is excited about seeing the children.

Ellicott City MD
Level Contributor
2,914 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Punta cana Mikes tours & Money

Hey Mich...

About 20-25 kids per room and about 5 rooms at the school we visited.

We passed out snacks in just the one room but I'm sure it was shared.

Baseballs, puzzles, toothbrushes,school supplies etc...Its all welcome