We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ouch - anyone seen the recent Catalonia reviews?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
306 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Ouch - anyone seen the recent Catalonia reviews?

I usually don't pay too much attention to reviews that come from member who joined TA on the day they post a (usually bad) review. But there was a review from a year-long member that piqued my attention. I am still looking forward to the Catalonia and no one can dampen my excitement, but I really hate to see people blatantly attack other tourists ... ouch.

Whitby
Level Contributor
823 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ouch - anyone seen the recent Catalonia reviews?

Couldn't agree more...that is just downright rude.

Calgary
Level Contributor
250 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ouch - anyone seen the recent Catalonia reviews?

Kat,

I agree with you completely it is totally rude and we just returned from Catalonia Royal few weeks ago and everything was great.

I cannot imagine anybody starving etc and it is very nice to see people of all shapes and sizes, we cannot all be size 0-4.

I am sure you will have great time if you need any info send me PM and have a great time, I know you will.

Eva

Arnprior
Level Contributor
731 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ouch - anyone seen the recent Catalonia reviews?

Well then....they should have gone to Aruba!

New York
Level Contributor
4,126 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ouch - anyone seen the recent Catalonia reviews?

kat58 ...

We were at the Royal Cat for the second time this past summer and at the sister Catalonia in October...

There is nothing to worry about as it relates to food... the food at this resort (both combined) was the best we've had in any of the resorts we've been to on the island.

Enjoy!

Peace

Lea

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ouch - anyone seen the recent Catalonia reviews?

Agree, hope they go to Aruba next time. Maybe they'll get a free upgrade there. Don't be expecting such at Catalonia.

I had no problems with the food. You'd have to be ultra picky not to enjoy it.

They busy time brings out the weirdos and those who would be happier at home.

Please don't be expecting an American 5 star hotel. If you keep expectations in check you'll have an amazing vacation.

Midland, Canada
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ouch - anyone seen the recent Catalonia reviews?

Yikes, how mean can you get, I reported the review, everyone should. Maybe they will remove it.

Arnprior
Level Contributor
731 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ouch - anyone seen the recent Catalonia reviews?

Thats a great idea Mayan. I'm going to do that right now.

Markham, ON Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Ouch - anyone seen the recent Catalonia reviews?

Got me a bit scared seeing that review and another next to it too. We're heading there on Jan. 30.

I really wish we could respond to reviews sometimes - it might stop some of the childish comments and totally unreasonable expectations people have if we could question their review.

Simcoe, Canada
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ouch - anyone seen the recent Catalonia reviews?

Kat I just read them and I see what you mean.

Judging by your avatar I am sure you and your husband will brighten up the resort. Enjoy yourselfs.

Tell him NOT to pack a harpoon though.

Markham, ON Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Ouch - anyone seen the recent Catalonia reviews?

Here's a few snippets of the review for those that haven't seen it, together with my comments in square brackets:

all the rooms are the same except for the swimming pool rooms. The swimming pool rooms are way better.

[Funny how rooms that cost a lot more are better...real shocker there.]

We complained and all they offered was the same room type with the same issues. They refused to upgrade us and that was a major disappointment.

[Did you offer to pay to be upgraded? Why would you expect to get the same room that someone who paid more is getting?]

staff do not follow directions-on many occasions I asked for a type of drink or ordered room service only to not get what I asked for. I have never been on vacation and not blatantly got what i asked for.

[I'm guessing that if the tone you used to speak to them is similar to that in your review, that's the reason.]

For example, they do not like to cook eggs here. They like to crack them open and serve raw. I always asked for well done and never got it, not even when I told them to cook both sides then fold-yuck.

[Yes, this is a common complaint...oh hang on, nobody has ever mentioned it before in 827 reviews...]

Activities-nothing much to do here and they don't give out daily activities list or anything so got kind've boring. We constantly went over to the children's side as there always seemed to be more going on over there.

[That's why you have access to both resorts - so that you have the option of a livelier environment vs. a relaxing one.]

I starved most days and had to wait for the good lunches and dinners.

[Holding back my comment on this]

They need to really revamp their rooms, they are disgusting and are akin to staying at a motel 6 on skid row.

[No exaggeration there huh ;>) ]

Lastly, if you want to see beached whales with their tops off, this is the place to go. I have never seen so many disgusting naked women in my life.

[Of course this is the resort's fault. Go skiing next time if you don't want to see people unclothed. Not sure why you think Aruba has better looking tourists.]

[Was it on Bavaro beach? Check. Was it close to the airport? Check. Was it on the beach? Check. Of course, therefore it must score 3 out of 5.]