We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how much clothing do you pack?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
307 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
how much clothing do you pack?

After multiple caribbean trips, I still haven't learned how to pack the right amount of clothes for a week's stay. I do well with swimwear but always seem to pack too many other outfits and shoes. What do you pack for the night's activities and side trips?

London, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how much clothing do you pack?

That is a good question. I have my first trip to DR in 10 days and got no clue what to take. I have so many think on the list for me and mine misses. Two weeks? Looks like we would be going for two months.

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how much clothing do you pack?

Great question and My Wife always seems to pack way to much even thou we vacation a lot. Just remember you wear your swimsuit 2/3 of the time for breakfast and lunch.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
307 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how much clothing do you pack?

I always pack various type of swimsuits so I have a variety of coverage options and I always pack more tops versus bottoms for other types of clothing. And then shoes are another issue. Flipflops, dress sandals, workout shoes will do it this time.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
617 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how much clothing do you pack?

Having been to the DR 16 times, I think I have finally gotten it down pat.

I take 3-4 bathing suits with coverups. I take one pair of white capris and one pair of black capris. I take 4 tops that I can mix and match.

Considering you are in regular clothes for a couple of hours each day, I am able to wear them more than once.

I bring a neutral colour of sandals - one pair, either black or white, and a pair of beach shoes.

That pretty much does me for the week!

Brantford
Level Contributor
174 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how much clothing do you pack?

jamurray49...you are good!!! And I thought I was good. I too bring bottoms that I interchange throughout the 7 days but still bring 6-7 tops for each day.

As to my sandals, I have one beach pair and have another 2 only to interchange for the week. I think I will "try" and cut down like you.

But I'll tell ya, between me and my husband we still only have 1 suitcase!!! (but to confess I carry a backpack on the plane with a bathing suit for each of us with towels and one change of clothes in case our luggage goes missing.

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
3,718 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how much clothing do you pack?

jamurrray, I hear you! When we travel to an AI for one week, I take 3-4 swimsuits, 2 coverups, 2 sundreses suitable for evening wear, 4-5 tops and 1-2 pairs of capris. Sometimes I take a pair of shorts in case I go on a day-trip. One pair of flipflops and one pair of sandals are usually sufficient. I usually travel with my husband and son, and we take 2 suitcases between three of us, with room to spare.

Edited: 10 January 2011, 00:42
Brooklin, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
13,220 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how much clothing do you pack?

Jamurray,

I do not see the Bubba listed as being packed ?????

John

Brooklin (Bubba King)

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how much clothing do you pack?

I really have to take lessons. I too have been about 20 times, and I ALWAYS pack way too much. I have kinda given up. It is better for me to pay for extra luggage weight (seat selection) then to try and figure out in advance what I want to wear for the week. I seem to be getting worse every time that I go too! I keep trying to talk my husband into buying a place there so I don't even have to bother to pack!

Brooklin, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
13,220 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how much clothing do you pack?

Vicki,

You have the right idea - a home base of your own where you could leave your clothing is the best plan yet !!

John

Brooklin (Bubba King)

Montreal
Level Contributor
261 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: how much clothing do you pack?

when i went being my first trip i had no idea what to pack

but i ended up with

1 pair jeans

1 pair dress pants

3-4 pairs of shorts

1 pair board shorts (70 bucks a pop so only baught one pair have to get some more this summer)

had like 10 t-shirts

1 nice shirt to go eat

baught a bag of ankle socks(12 pairs)

pile of undershirts

7 pair of boxers

1 pair of flip flops

1 pair of shoes

1 hat

but when your in your swim suit/ shorts for about 95 percent of the time this is even to much

bringing less next time i go

Edited: 10 January 2011, 02:32