We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomas Cook Airline Airport Charges

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Thomas Cook Airline Airport Charges

I just had to pay an extra $180.00 for my carry on bag being overweight in Puerto Plata. Thats my over the shoulder carry on bag both my wife and I used for gifts. I didn't have a motorcycle in it either,just a few gifts,bottle of rum,a few extra cloths and a book.And if I didn't pay, they wouldn't allow me to board to fly home. I was one of several people with this rip off yesterday in Puerto Plata.Whats Thomas Cook have to say about this? This is another slap in the face from Thomas Cook for this one trip. The first one was for putting me in row 31 after I pre-boarded in row 6.No apoligy, no explanation,no compensation....just told to bring it up after I return with Thomas Cook Airlines.Their blame was on a server error. Be ready Thomas Cook for my call Monday.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
368 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Thomas Cook Airline Airport Charges

You describe it as a "rip off", I wouldn't.

You are made aware of the terms and conditions and weight restrictions when you book.

If every passenger exceeded their baggage weight allowance and hoped to be treated as an exception then the price of everybody's ticket would be more expensive due to the extra fuel the aircraft would use getting airborne.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thomas Cook Airline Airport Charges

If your bags over weight, then you have to pay, not just Thomas Cook ANY airline will charge.

Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thomas Cook Airline Airport Charges

have you ever had your carry on bag weighed? and been billed for it being over weight?

Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thomas Cook Airline Airport Charges

have you ever had your carryon bag weighed with your checked in luggage? and find you have to pay for your carry on bag's weight?

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
33,937 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thomas Cook Airline Airport Charges

I've had my carry on bag weighed. It wasn't overweight because I knew the weight limit and stuck within it.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
368 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Thomas Cook Airline Airport Charges

As a point of interest, why exactly do you think YOU should be allowed to exceed the stated luggage weight allowance and not be charged?

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thomas Cook Airline Airport Charges

Carry on bag weighed many times, not charged as I weigh it before hand to check the weight.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
12,976 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thomas Cook Airline Airport Charges

How did you get a bottle of rum in your carry on? It would be taken away once entering customs.

As per the website... "Checked baggage exceeding the allowances will be accepted on a stand-by basis, subject to space availability, and at a charge of: CAD $20 per kilo ($18 USD)."

"Each passenger is permitted one piece in the cabin which may be no larger than 23 cm x 40 cm x 50 cm and weigh no more than 5 kilos. Carry-on baggage exceeding 5 kilos must be checked in."

Thus if you are permitted 5kgs, your bag must have weighed in the area of 14 kilos...or close to 30 pounds.

This would be no different on most charters.

Sorry about your extra charges, but they are clearly within their rights to charge as such, plus this info is not hidden away on a hard to find part of the website regarding the airline.

Cheers

PCMike

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thomas Cook Airline Airport Charges

In addition to extra weight resulting in more fuel being burned, if a lot of passengers on a given flight had overweight or excess carry-on luggage, not only is there a space issue on board but, more importantly, it's a safety hazard for these items to be in overhead bins.

Hope you had a good holiday regardless.

Cheers

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
989 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thomas Cook Airline Airport Charges

Hay,

If your carry on was to heavy, why dident you take something out and put in your checked luggage, it would of been cheaper.......................Oh but then i dont how much your checked in luggage weighed ....................

I would of left something behind out of my carry on ,like one of the books......