We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peddlers on the beach...

Northwest Ohio
Level Contributor
2,432 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Peddlers on the beach...

I have searched and found a closed forum for 2007 on this topic. I am wondering if we will encounter this around the Hard Rock as my sister just returned from another resort and said they were hounded horribly and she will not return to PC. So is this a common problem or only around certain resorts?

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Peddlers on the beach...

Not to many by the Hard Rock but even the ones that approach a simple no thanks is all it takes.

Northwest Ohio
Level Contributor
2,432 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Peddlers on the beach...

Thanks Bob, that is one reason I love Cancun, the beaches are peaceful. Now the rest of Mexico, never mind!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,524 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Peddlers on the beach...

We have been to DR 9 times now and although we have seen beach traders we have never been hounded by them - they all knew the meaning of no thanks or later

Brooklin, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
13,295 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Peddlers on the beach...

The beaches in Punta Cana have very few vendors selling products to guests when at the beach - certainly in comparison to those in Puerto Plata where we have had close to 30 in a half hour period at the extreme times.

Of the few that do come by, most will just look at you - if you are interested, just call them over and then there are perhaps 3-4 that may come right up and ask you, but a simple & polite "no gracious" is readily accepted by them.

John

Brooklin (Bubba King)

Vero Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Peddlers on the beach...

In all our trips to PC over the years, staying at a few different resorts, we have never encountered bothersome peddlers. Once in awhile we see individuals walking around looking for guests who may want to book an excursion or parasailing etc, but a friendly No Gracias keeps them walking. Now the gentlemen who run the stores on the beach, that's a different story, they can be quite aggressive if you are taking a walk. Simple say No firmly and keep walking until you are past their stores.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
193 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Peddlers on the beach...

We just got back and can honestly say that no peddler ever even approached us. They came by, but if you didn't call them over, they did not bother you. And the volume of peddlers was not that high anyway. I will say though that if you go for a walk down the beach, you will be hit , not by peddlers, but by parasailing /deep sea fishing offers and "come and see our new resort, only 5 minutes" requests. 5 minutes. yea, right.

But if you are sitting in your lounge chair by the beach, no troubles with peddlers.

7. Re: Peddlers on the beach...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2012, 08:21