We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

health travel clinic

New Hamburg, Canada
Level Contributor
291 posts
Save Topic
health travel clinic

hello everyone ...I hope you all are either enjoying your vacations now or are ( like me ) looking forward to your vacation...

We have an appt. this month at a health travel clinic , the cost is 90 per family.Our family dr. would not advise us of anything related to punta cana because she says she just doesn't know whats going on there.

My question to everyone is what should I be asking at this travel clinic?This travel clinic also gives the shots required and any drugs needed.

Both my husband and myself have had our hep A and Hep B shots a few years ago and other than cholera what do I need to worry about?

Thanks all

Tissuepaper

muskoka ON
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: health travel clinic

I personally wouldn't fuss too much about cholera, but you will be offered Dukoral. It also covers some of the other bugs you may come in contact with if you are off resort and eating/drinking, and the side effect profile isn't bad.

You will also likely be offered malaria prophylaxis - not because there is documented malaria acquisition there, but because the health Canada website says it is so and they need to cover their behinds. One thing you should ask about is the current status of your tetnus immunization - good for 10 years, but something to consider if you can't remember the last time you had one. Hep A and B are done and boosters are not required.

I would be curious to know, and do look forwrad to your response, if they recommend influenza immunizationn - not so much for you (although it really is a good thing) but so that you don't import it to the DR. Crazy flu year here in Ontario and the last thing we want to do is introduce it to a non-immune/non-immunized population.

Bugs

New Hamburg, Canada
Level Contributor
291 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: health travel clinic

Thanks Bugs ,

I was hoping you would reply.

Yes my tetnus is up todate I had the last booster in 2007...We go to the clinic on the feb 23rd and I will let you know what they recommend...

So does the dukoral take need of loperamide ( immodium ) away or am i wrong in that assumption?

My husband works in the hosp. here in Lindsay , and a few years back he was pricked with a dirty needle so he had to undergo a lot of tests and different shots he swears he got a shot for hepC is there such a shot?Thanks again.

Tissuepaper

muskoka ON
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: health travel clinic

Dukoral is a medication that protects you against various stomach bugs - e.coli and cholera to name two. If you are not planning on leaving the resort, then really the risk of coming in contact with either one of these is extremely low. Dukoral will not protect you against stomach viruses such as Norwalk-like illness (that old 24 hour throw up/poop stomach bug) which we can acquire easily during our travels should others be ill with it (think airplane and shared touch surfaces).

Immodium is a medication which helps stop diarrhea, and in no way protects against viruses or bacteria. It is offered 'after the diarrhea has begun' as a symptomatic measure. In some instances, diarrhea is good (yep, easy for me to say sitting here diarrhea free LOL) it is one of the body's defence mechanisms when we eat something that is just not good for us (for example, bad food, contaminated water). By taking Immodium (or loperamide as it is known generically) you may in fact be trapping those bad bugs in your system and may prolong illness, not to mention the slight risk of having your bowel stop moving completely resulting in what we call a toxic megacolon - never good!

There currently does not exist a vaccination for Hepatitis C - so we need to be mindful of the ways in which we can come in contact with this virus - sharing needles, sharing razors or toothbrushes, dirty tatoo parlours <g> - and avoid these situations. The testing you described is standard practice and would indicate whether infection had been transmitted.

As always, your primary medical care practitioner is the best resource for these questions.

Edited: 01 February 2011, 23:07
New Hamburg, Canada
Level Contributor
291 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: health travel clinic

Thanks again bugs.

I did ask my dr about the tests and shots he got and he wouldn't believe her..lol

but now that he has 2 opinions of this he is a believer .

MEN can't live with them...........men can't......nope thats all I got LOL

Tissuepaper

muskoka ON
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: health travel clinic

LOL - I hear ya! Besides, who would blow out the drive in the morning <G>

C

Edited: 01 February 2011, 23:34
Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: health travel clinic

We spoke to our family Doctor last week about Dukoral, he said he would prefer we just fill a prescription for Cipro and take it along with us. He said that as we were at an AI resort we were in the low risk catagory. He said every first aid kit should contain Cipro and Pepto Bismal. The immodium can apparently cause more problems because it is absorbed through the intestine.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: health travel clinic

great advice as usual, Cindi,

Bugs is the Best.

as for the OP mentioned sentence

|||Our family dr. would not advise us of anything related to punta cana because she says she just doesn't know whats going on there.|||

If Your Doc doesn't know anything related to the DR, then I woud recommend to switch the Doc.

happy safe Travels

Mike

bouctouche
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: health travel clinic

please keep us posted of what the clinics says, i've been to punta cana 4 times and returning in march. My doctor always gave us malarone for malaria and a prescription of cipro in case of severe diarrhia. We have to go see if we need something for cholera even if we didn't know about it in january when we went with the kids so not sure if we really need it. Anyways please let us know.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: health travel clinic

Bugs says: You will also likely be offered malaria prophylaxis - not because there is documented malaria acquisition there, but because the health Canada website says it is so and they need to cover their behinds.

Here's what the Public Health Agency of Canada website says of malaria in the Dominican Republic: Risk is highest in the provinces bordering Haiti, there is little to no risk in other areas of the country

Since to the best of my knowledge Punta Cana isn't neighboring Haiti, I don't think malaria drugs are necessary. No drugs for me!

Can't wait for March!

New Hamburg, Canada
Level Contributor
291 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: health travel clinic

my Dr. did give me a prescription for Cipro and she always has every time we go away...Even though she says she knows nothing about the DR , she is an excellent dr. in every other way ,and finding a new dr. in this area is positively impossible .I think she is just wanting me to do the research this time.

Anyway I love everyones feedback and will post what the travel clinic has to say.

I do think bugs is bang on ,,,Thanks

Tissuepaper