We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OK, Who's Recently Compared Ambar To Other Top Spots?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oshawa
Level Contributor
310 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
OK, Who's Recently Compared Ambar To Other Top Spots?

Yea, there's lots of comparisons on the forum, but I want to hear from YOU, IF:

You've been to Ambar within the last two years, and

You've personally been to the other heavy hitters, e.g. Iberostar Grand, Grand Palladium, or where ever you think 5-Star is?

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: OK, Who's Recently Compared Ambar To Other Top Spots?

check the Majestic Elegance,

a real Big Hitter,

let's You sure forget about the average Stuff such as the Lil Ambar.

Happy Travels

Mike

Whitby
Level Contributor
820 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: OK, Who's Recently Compared Ambar To Other Top Spots?

Everyone's opinion of what is considered a "5 star" or "heavy hitter" as you referred to is different.

Is there something specific you are looking for? Do you have certain criteria you are looking for in a resort?

If you could elaborate, I am sure you would get more response.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: OK, Who's Recently Compared Ambar To Other Top Spots?

total agreement, Sue

Mike

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: OK, Who's Recently Compared Ambar To Other Top Spots?

I stayed at Ambar then Excellence Punta Cana back to back two years ago. Ambar is newer and pretty. Has a calmer beach with whiter sand but very busy with resorts all around. Just an add on Adult section to a Mega resort with trams. Food and service ok compared to Excellence.

Excellence is 10 years old but is still a fabulous resort. About one hour from airport compared to 30 mins to Ambar. Has a huge beach in a more secluded area with a tan sand but beautiful. It has a surf which is mesmerizing and I prefer it to Ambar. It can get rough and have an undertow but other parts are fine. Closest resort is perhaps half a mile away. Horseback riding included.

Very romantic environment free from children on the whole resort. Lush grounds to roam with some wildlife. Much much better food, drinks and service than Ambar.

You also might consider the Iberostar Grand and Secrets Sanctuary Capa Cana which I hear are VERY nice but may be more expensive. It may depend on your budget and needs. There are many choices.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: OK, Who's Recently Compared Ambar To Other Top Spots?

So your trip to the Ambar, you liked or not?? Can't really tell from your post.

We have stayed at the Ambar at the end of 09 and all in all have stayed at 5 other different hotels in DR including 2 Iberostars, 1 Dreams, Majestic, Melia and soon to be Catalonia Royal.

To be fair we have had a different experience at each, all good experience btw but all for different reasons.

Personally I am still looking for a DR hotel to tick ALL my boxes lol. For location, food , service, etc etc!

Which is why we never have returned to one yet, and because there are so many others I need to try!!!!

As of now the only hotel we would return to is the Melia Caribe Tropical. As for us it ticked more boxes than others!

Not saying the others were bad! However I belive my dream DR hotel may be there somewhere!!, but what my dream hotel is, may not be someone else.

Happy holidays

Oshawa
Level Contributor
310 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: OK, Who's Recently Compared Ambar To Other Top Spots?

Thanks Mike, Fort Wayne, Whitby and London. If you read my previous posts about Ambar, you'll find that we were very complimentary, so no complaints whatsoever. But like London, we will return and simply want to experience other great spots, without missing any of the great things about the Ambar experience. In other words, we wouldn't want to be disappointed in a 'lesser' resort - no offence to any other resorts - and since I've not been to others, I'm not about to start calling any place else by that name.

So if one knows what Ambar is all about, and has been to others whom they feel is equal or superior, that's my inquiry.

And yes Mike, I've read your great reviews about Majestic and have a buddy who goes there and is pleased, so thanks for your valuable input. Don't hesitate to say more.

We are a two-time returning guest to Ambar, and it is true how one gets attached to a place and the particular people there. We could still name our wait and room staff by name, and the assistant manager Patricia who were all so very nice to us. Hey, we might even feel guilty about going somewhere new!

Thanks folks!

Steve

Midland, Canada
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: OK, Who's Recently Compared Ambar To Other Top Spots?

I would not classify Ambar as a top notch or heavy hitter. It is in the same class as the other two chains you mention though.

The Secrets and Excellence chains are a notch or two above the Bahia, Palladium and Iberostar chains.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: OK, Who's Recently Compared Ambar To Other Top Spots?

offduty: We've been twice to the Ambar (March 2008 and March 2009) and went to the Iberostar Grand Bavaro this past November. We loved them both, but honestly, could not see ourselves returning to the Grand just because of the price. If money is no object, then for sure, the level of service is better at the Iberostar Grand - but for us, the Ambar was wonderful and a great value at the same time. Let me know if you have any specific comparisons you'd like me to make.

London UK
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: OK, Who's Recently Compared Ambar To Other Top Spots?

We've been to the Palladium, MC and Ambar as well as many others. They were all good to be honest but I would say the food is generally better at the Ambar and Palladium than the MC whose A la Cartes were not very good we thought.

The Ambar and the Palladium have the added benefits of being able to use all the other Hotels services with the Sister Hotels.

We much prefer the big hotels now with the added privacy of a quiet bit - there is also a lot more to do, pools, bars, shows etc.

Both the Palladium and Bahias really come alive at Night and you do not even feel you are in a Hotel but out and about.

We went to Dreams PB last year and we almost felt claustrophobic after the big Hotels but I do understand why people prefer the smaller ones.

It's just a matter of taste.

snooks

Edited: 02 February 2011, 15:43
Sarnia, Ontario
Level Contributor
7,119 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: OK, Who's Recently Compared Ambar To Other Top Spots?

We have been to Excellence and Catalonia Royal and are heading to the Ambar next week. We loved Excellence and we didn't really like the Royal.

I think we're going to like the Ambar. I sent a room request via email this morning and got an answer back within the hour. Now that's service.