We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Setting up cell phone in Canada to be ready to use in DR

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal
Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Topic
Setting up cell phone in Canada to be ready to use in DR

My 14yr old son is going to Punta Cana for a week with his school.

They are not staying in a resort but with a family.

I have 2 possible options and need some advice please.

I have an unlocked Motorola phone we can use or I can add an international text messaging plan for the week on his BB that is with Rogers and is not unlocked.

If I want to buy a sim card to prepare the phone from Montreal so he can use once he is there, is this possible?

Should I just stick with a text messaging plan?

He is 14 and will not be able to do this on his own there.

Thank you!

Oshawa
Level Contributor
309 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Setting up cell phone in Canada to be ready to use in DR

Waste of money.

ontario
Level Contributor
1,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Setting up cell phone in Canada to be ready to use in DR

Yikes. Won't anyone have a laptop? He could skype you then.

Roaming charges would be crazy I'd think.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Setting up cell phone in Canada to be ready to use in DR

I have heard some folks had trouble with BlackBerry's there. Don't know if this will help, but Sunwing has a cell phone special just for Punta cana

http://www.sunwing.ca/etix/stayconnected.asp

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Setting up cell phone in Canada to be ready to use in DR

I would go with the text messaging plan it would be easier. I don't think its "A waste of money" Its a 14 year old and I am sure you want some contact with him.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Setting up cell phone in Canada to be ready to use in DR

No No No Folks.

it is very simple.

give the Teen the UNLOCKED phone, don't buy any Plan or such,

and let the Teen/Family where He/She stays purchase a Local Chip, available down here at every Cornershop by "Claro" and Orange", the 2 Providers who have Signal/Coverage everywhere in the Area.

such local chip costs US$17.- including the first 100 Pesos/US$3.- of minutes charged.

can be refilled at every Corner Colmado, even on the deepest Countryside.

texting and Calls from this Chip to the USA or to Canada(all Country Code 1 as the DR itself also is) are Cheap and YOU can call that number at any Time for low costs also, to check in that all is fine.

there is no easier and finally cheaper way to go than this.

Happy Travels

Mike

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Setting up cell phone in Canada to be ready to use in DR

My daughter went to Spain in High School for a 10 day tour, we had no contact with her during those days. Trusted that she was in good hands with the school. "no news is good news".

Montreal
Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Setting up cell phone in Canada to be ready to use in DR

Thank you for your replies. Very helpful.

I'm going to speak to the teachers going on the trip to see if MikeFisher's solution is doable. If not, I'll be going with a text plan. I got some rates from Rogers today and they are not bad at all.

Edmonton_mamma, I'm going to lose my mind that week. First time away from us!

ELTORO2010, I agree 100%, it is NOT a waste of money. He's my son. (:

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Setting up cell phone in Canada to be ready to use in DR

go with Mike's plan.....every year we contacted Bell to switch our plan for it to work in the DR....never worked once we were there, waste of time setting it all up and making the calls. Now we have a blackberry and we wont bother trying to text with it either down there....in my opinion this is the easiest way.....do you have a netbook or smaller laptop he can take ??? Join facebook and he can go to a wifi area and you can touch base that way......facebook is the easiest and quickes way to talk down there !! Actually just turn the roaming system off on the phone and go to a wifi area and do facebook from the blackberry......

our friends used their phones down there and their bill was 1200.00 in roaming charges .....yikes.

Edited: 04 February 2011, 19:20
calgary
Level Contributor
415 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Setting up cell phone in Canada to be ready to use in DR

I am here now. Tried to unlock my phone before leaving and ended up getting cell phone here and lots of minutes for 1000 pesos. He will need to show his passport to do this or give money to the family where he is to get it for him. He gives you the number and then you can call him too for no cost to his phone.

Debra

Montreal
Level Contributor
823 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Setting up cell phone in Canada to be ready to use in DR

Hi!! Personally (as not yet a mother) I'd want to hear from my child every second day just to be sure. I don't know that 's just me I guess. It's probably why I am still waiting to have a baby lmao!! ;)

Last time I went my dad fell unexpectely ill (coma, unknown if he'd make it) I called everyday ($750 cell bill) so the next time I went I got a plan with Rogers they have different mins and different amount of txt you can buy for use out of the country.. cost me $35.. best thing I could have done!

Or mike's plan works too!! :)