We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tanning

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
tanning

So I have a base tan and all set to go...what are your tricks for getting the darkest tan....what spf do you use...do you use oil...or both...

Lisbon,Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon, Samana Province, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,046 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tanning

I always use Hawaiian Tropic Dark Tanning Oil with no spf. I can do that because i live in Lisbon / Portugal in south of Europe and i go to the beach from mid May until late Sept. so i don't have to worry about sunburns.

But every case it's a case...

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tanning

I use 8 on my shoulders and #4 oil everywhere else.

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tanning

Panama Jack oil 15

Arnprior, Canada
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tanning

You guys are nuts! I always go with an awesome base and still use 30 for the first couple of days and switch to 15 by the end of the week. (I tan easy but the sun is strong).

Just my personal preference I suppose. I would rather not look like a piece of leather when I am 60.

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,869 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tanning

The SPF is only a number, not a guarantee of protection. We get a base here and use a 30 there, I always get a wonderful tan, remember to use lots of moiusturizer when you are home.

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tanning

I don't think you can get Panama Jack in Canada...or at least I haven't seen it...

Lisbon,Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon, Samana Province, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,046 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tanning

I don't have Hawaiian Tropic or Panama jack here in Portugal at the stores, but i get them on-line on e-Bay.com or on e-Bay.co.uk

Don't forget that Hawaiian Tropic have also tanning oil with spf 20, better spf that Panama Jack or Banana Boat.

Toronto,ON
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tanning

Check out Maui Babe. We used it last year in Punta Cana and just recently in Mexico and we both got dark. I do tan before I go and once there I use Maui Babe with an 8 or 15 SPF and the difference is amazing. You can buy it online. I already bought mine for my upcoming Punta Cana trip

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tanning

I use La Roche Posay 60 on my face/chest and Ombrelle 30 on the rest. I get a nice tan and wouldn't want to be any darker cuz I don't want to look like that old lady from the movie "There's Something About Mary". I use this after-skin sun moisturizer from Clarins on my face and I love it.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
580 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tanning

Do a few tans before I go... then use a combination of 8 and 15 while I'm there. I tan really well.