We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why not dress up to a la carte dinners?

Lisbon,Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon, Samana Province, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,061 posts
214 reviews
Save Topic
Why not dress up to a la carte dinners?

Some Punta Cana resorts allow both men and women with shorts and flip flops into the evening a la cartes.

We always get a little dressed up in the evenings.

Even if we are only going to the buffet.

It just makes the holiday a little more special for us.

I wonder why there is people that don't think like us?

Would you like to share with us?

Edited: 15 February 2011, 13:57
ontario
Level Contributor
1,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why not dress up to a la carte dinners?

Perhaps because not everyone is the same?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,126 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why not dress up to a la carte dinners?

Totally agree with you PMAL which is why we try to select resorts with dress code rules that match that

But as Starry says - each to their own

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why not dress up to a la carte dinners?

I agree with starry. Different strokes for different folks. That said I too like getting a bit dressed up while in PC. It's like a week of date nights and date nights always end well!!

-Brugal

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why not dress up to a la carte dinners?

I wonder about those who care what other folks do or don't do. ;-)

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,504 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why not dress up to a la carte dinners?

I'm with you, PMAL. I take one pair of closed toe shoes, one pair of long pants and a few nice shirts (Silk is nice and cool). I also believe that a "collared shirt with open neck" is much cooler than a t-shirt.

Back to the room for a drink and shower before dinner. Cocktails with my bride before dinner on the veranda, a nice dinner and then if it's really too hot change back into shorts for the remainder of the evening.

I don't get the "I refuse to wear long pants on vacation" or "my kids won't bring long pants". Those folks are welcome to enjoy their evening meal at the delicious buffet.

I hope I get to sit next to you on my next ala carte visit......

Miguel

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,042 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why not dress up to a la carte dinners?

Some people have to dress up every other day of the year for work, and see vacation as an opportunity to dress down..... relax. It's simply not fun for everyone to dress up a bit... it becomes more of a chore than it is a pleasure.

But, I agree with margadagio - wondering why anyone cares what anyone else does. You want to dress up in the evenings? Go for it.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
606 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why not dress up to a la carte dinners?

Because my husband has to get 'dressed up' every day for work, he looks forward to relaxing on vacation and not having to wear long pants and closed toe shoes.

A man can wear a nice shirt and a nice pair of bermuda-length shorts and look a h*ll of a lot better than someone coming into an a la cart wearing worn blue jeans and a t-shirt with a beer logo on it! Oh, and don't forget the ratty looking running shoes on his feet.

Why can a woman wear whatever she wants (within reason, of course) - and sandals? Double-standards.

We travel every year and my husband brings long pants and closed toe shoes, but it doesn't mean he likes it!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,544 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why not dress up to a la carte dinners?

Who cares what others wear - everyone enjoys their vacation in different ways. I have to dress up for work every darn day - when I'm on vacation I like to relax. That being said, for me it is easy as I just throw on a nice dress but for men I think they should be able to wear a nice pair of dress shorts - it's way to hot down there for pants and closed toe shoes........

Edited: 15 February 2011, 14:33
new york
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why not dress up to a la carte dinners?

We too like to get dressed in the evenings- Like Brugal said It feels like "date night"

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,889 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why not dress up to a la carte dinners?

My hubby can get dressed up with a pair of dress shorts, and a silk shirt. It is how you carry yourself that gives the image. We always go for two weeks, so taking enough long pants for him can be a packing issue. Yes we do pick nights to get a little more dressed up, but not every night. I believe it is what in you and not what on you that makes you special.

We come from nothern Alberta Canada, it is projected to be -29 this week. For months we have worn layers and layers of clothing. We enjoy not having to do that on vacation.

I am truely sorry if our being comfortable has an impact on your enjoyment of your vacation.