We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calling all Punta Cana Ex Pats....info needed

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lincoln, California
Level Contributor
4,233 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Calling all Punta Cana Ex Pats....info needed

I am interested in hearing from ex pats who live in PC as I am comparing serveral places I would like to retire part time to in approx 3 years and PC's real estate prices make it look very inviting.

I am looking for basic living costs info like food (and availability or North American food products should I want them) and Cable TV, electricity and other basic necessities of life to compare with the other places I am considering.

I would also like to hear what some might guess it would cost monthly to live the following lifestyle (rent or mortgage excluded as I have that info already)...

My wife and I's lifestyle there would probably include dinner out 3 or 4 times a week at moderately priced local seafood restuarants followed by a few cocktails and maybe 2 or 3 times hitting up some nightlife as well. I would also most likely spend 2 or 3 afternoons in a beach bar drinking beer "with the boys" or some other such activity and the remainder of our food and drinks would be prepared and consumed at home so if ayone else's current lifestyle resembles this or you have a good estimation please feel free to give your guess as I am open to as many answers as possible. This is a very basic idea of what we would spend money on and things like golf or other activities would be in addition to this.

As for us we have never been to PC but plan on visiting in a year or so but have been all over the world and am very familiar with living in a tropical 3rd world country so no surprises for us there...

Thanks in advance for all your input.

Mike

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
2,416 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calling all Punta Cana Ex Pats....info needed

go to DR1.com

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calling all Punta Cana Ex Pats....info needed

Take a look at this website - on the right hand side of the page there is a tab that says retire or relocate - lots of info........

http://www.reliablerealtydr.com/

Montreal
Level Contributor
823 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calling all Punta Cana Ex Pats....info needed

this is how my husband and I would live this info has been so helpful thank you all!!! as we're not yet close to retirment we'd like to consider Punta Cana as a second home real soon and had all the same questions!! :) :)

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Calling all Punta Cana Ex Pats....info needed

Excluding House rental/mortgage and Golfing and the maintenance for a Car etc,

you should be fine with $2.500-$3000.- per Month.

DR1 is the best Source for a detailed research on that Matter.

welcome to the 'hood

Mike

Lincoln, California
Level Contributor
4,233 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Calling all Punta Cana Ex Pats....info needed

Thanks for all the info so far and yes those 2 sites were a wealth of info.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
12,762 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Calling all Punta Cana Ex Pats....info needed

Based on my personal budget......rent $800 mth, utilities ( not running the air con all the time) ....$70-100mth...with air....$350 mth. Food....$100 wk.....dining...avg plate $15.....drinks....$12 day....$20.00 if on the beach. Cable TV....3 major choices with a good selection of all languages...most condos are already set up. Internet...good number of free wifi areas at bars and restaurants......cellphone....$5.00week.

Cheers

PCMike

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Calling all Punta Cana Ex Pats....info needed

A good health and accident insurance is advisable. For hubby & I with ARS Humano Platinum cover costs 78,000 rd / 2000 $US per year.

8. Re: Calling all Punta Cana Ex Pats....info needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 16:18