We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Talk me into Dreams Palm Beach

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Talk me into Dreams Palm Beach

We are going to PC around the 21st of May for 7 nights.

DH-50 / Me 40. we don't have kids.

I was set to book Mjestic E Club Section..but noticed that it's sold out already for that time.

A friend of mine works for a major tour company and & asked his opinion about what resort we should stay at in PC and he said hands down Dreams Palm Beach. He also knows we don't have kids. I value his opinion so I am leaning this way.

I've read sooo many posts about the ME in this forum and I feel the love for that resort. I haven't seen that many posts that feel the love in this forum for Dreams PB like the ones for ME.

So now I want to feel the love for Dreams PB.Help me!! I'm worried about the kid factor at the Dreams.

Thanks

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
5,852 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Talk me into Dreams Palm Beach

Dreams is very popular for families and the kids club is one of the best if not the best, so it might not be the perfect place for you. Also if you have to be talked into a place, then that is a sign also.

What is your budget? what is the level of luxury that you want or expect? What kind of activity level are you looking for? Adults only is a plus or it doesn't matter? What size of a resort do you want?

What is your vibe or travelling style? These are all questions you should answer and it will give us a better feel or what you are looking for.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Talk me into Dreams Palm Beach

I really want to lay around a pool and veg for a week, I want a nice room so upgrading to a club level appeals to me. I want a nice pool one where there is some activity and another where its quiet so I can go away and read and take an afternoon nap. I don't want to have to deal with reservations for dinner, and we like a variety of places to eat.

I'm back & forth on the adults only...I've stayed at A/O resorts before and like them. My feeling is in May there are not hundreds of kids like during spring break so I'm ok with a non A/O resort in this case. Kids also make being by the pool fun in moderation!!! I looked at Excellence but it's too far I just want to get to the resort.

I think I'm just looking for a Fan Base for Dreams Palm beach in this forum like ME has. If you look at this forum there are tons of posts for ME & it's hard not to get excited about staying here.

I 'm disappointed that ME Club is sold out when we are going so I'm trying to get over my disappointment and find another good fit for us.

Thanks

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,974 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Talk me into Dreams Palm Beach

We have stayed at Dreams Punta Cana and were not impressed. Friends of ours stayed at the Majestic Elegance a year ago and still can't stop talking about it. Tons of kids at Dreams PC by the way, but it was a family vacation so it was what we were looking for.

True however, I would imagine that at the end of May there would not be a lot of kids at the resorts in general.

I believe that Dreams PB is a notch up from DPC, but it is nowhere like the Majestic Elegance.

I have read that the adults only are more inline with the ME, specifically Iberostar Bavaro Grand.

Non AO I would look at are the Paradisus, even the Melia Royal Service category. I am sure others may be able to recommend other resorts that you might fit the bill.

Just my personal opinion, but I wouldn't get hung up on the driving distance.....wouldn't you rather drive that extra 30 minutes or so and be happy for the rest of your vacation, then go to an inferior resort with a shorter driving distance, and be wishing you did otherwise the entire week?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Talk me into Dreams Palm Beach

Good advice about the drive. We also looked at the Royal Suites at GP.

I think I need to rethink what I want to do about the ME--stay in the regular rooms and be happy with that...or look at another resort all together.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
12,899 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Talk me into Dreams Palm Beach

I think that you will find that compared to current offerings, Dreams is a middle of the road experience...not bad...not outstanding...but then again, that is what they are targeting within their branding,

I would strongly consider Palladium Turquesa...adults only with the option of using the other properties. Great central location, thus no big expense in taxis for a night off the resort at one of the many decent restaurants in the area...nor to any of the local watering holes.

Cheers

PuntaCana Mike

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Talk me into Dreams Palm Beach

Good Morning travel925,

Another option that you might want to consider is that in May AMResorts will be taking over an NH property there in the DR and rebranding and renaming it. The NH Royal Beach will become SECRETS ROYAL BEACH, it will be adults only.

www.secretsresorts.com/royalbeach/index.asp

http://www.nowresorts.com/larimar/

Above are the links to the pages for SECRETS and NOW.

Don't get me wrong I love Dreams Palm Beach and am headed down for a visit in April when I will also be visiting the two above properties.

And the reason I mention them is that AMResorts is the same company that manages Dreams Palm Beach. The manage Dreams, Secrets, NOW and Zoetry.

I'd be happy to try and answer any questions you may have on Dreams Palm Beach and once I have visited the 2 new ones I would be happy to try and help with those also.

Happy Travels,

bb/mt

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Talk me into Dreams Palm Beach

travel: My husband and I just returned from DPB with our 7-year old son. We normally go to adult-only resorts - have been to the Gran Bahia Ambar and the Iberostar Grand Bavaro in Punta Cana. There were many things we liked about DPB (i.e. compact resort so not too far to walk anywhere; great food and no need to make reservations for dinner; excellent kids club; excellent service; lots of entertainment/activities; good lobby bar and outdoor music) unfortunately there were some things we didn't like (rooms were musty smelling and small; we had requested a king-sized bed with a pull-out for our son as I was told all rooms had them - we ended up with two double beds and no sofa bed; bathroom area very small and lacks privacy because it's only a half glass door; a lot of seaweed on the beach - they do work constantly to clean it up; not enough loungers by the pool - not a problem for us as we stay on the beach, but people are down sitting on them at 7 am because you can't leave towels before 8 am). The biggest thing that I didn't care for, which would only be a problem if you like to go jogging outside, is that there are not enough pathways to run in the resort and I found it very hard to run on the beach because of the wet sand/seaweed. They do have a treadmill, but I much prefer to run outside. I would highly recommend looking into the Gran Bahia Ambar. Let me know if you ahve anymore questions.

Edited: 14 March 2011, 13:41
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,974 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Talk me into Dreams Palm Beach

have you tried www.majesticelegancepuntacana.com? (this is NOT the hotel's official website by the way)

They still show availability in the elegance (several categories) for a pretty good rate. This website can provide airfare for you if you wish, but I know that American Airlines has some amazing prices right now (we just booked flights to Cancun for a steal).

Just because one or more tour companies are "sold out" of the majestic, it doesn't mean that the hotel itself is sold out....it just means that the tour operators have sold out of their "block" of pre-purchased rooms.

Good luck!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Talk me into Dreams Palm Beach

Smitty ~

Thanks for the other link for the other booking agent...I tired about 4 different whole-sale companies / as well as the resort direct.

I think that we are going to stick with ME. It just seems worth it to me.

BaltoBabe thanks for the Secrets suggstions we did a soft opening for Secrets Maroma several years ago and it was OK but I swore I'd never do a soft opening again.

I'm too fussy and just want the resort up & going,

Edited: 14 March 2011, 21:28
10. Re: Talk me into Dreams Palm Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 18:15