We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goodbye Mexico..Hello Dominican :)

canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Goodbye Mexico..Hello Dominican :)

We will be attending a wedding ..Jan. in Punta Cana..

First time to the Dominican and over the next months I will be searching this forum and also asking a few questions from time to time....

The wedding party will be staying at the Catalonia Bavaro

My husband and I prefer smaller resorts within walking distance to shops etc. so will choose a resort close to the Bavaro Shopping.

Does anyone know how far apart the 2 areas are..

Would we take a taxi? bus?

Also Do you know how much day passes at resorts are?

Thank You

england
Level Contributor
5,655 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Goodbye Mexico..Hello Dominican :)

Hi there

About 4 miles as the crow flies but nearer 6 by road.

Bus is do-able but means changing buses on the main road.. Not really adviseable for first timers..Lol ..Also with the bus you've got a long walk from the gate to the hotel, not adviseable if you're dressed up in your "finery" for the wedding.

Sparky

Edited: 16 March 2011, 19:32
Gibbons, Alberta
Level Contributor
504 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Goodbye Mexico..Hello Dominican :)

You should check out the Catalonia Royal (sister resort) instead of staying further away and getting a day pass.

We are in the same boat - my cousin is getting married at the Catalonia Bavaro and I wanted the options that are available by staying at the Royal side. It is much smaller, quieter, sounds like better service, no reservations for the a la carte restaurants, and a big long list of other things. Costs a bit more, but certainly worth it to us.

I looked into day passes and they appeared to be something like $50 or $60 US I believe per person (although can't remember if that was for this exact resort or not now as that was back in September/10).

This resort is the first resort from the airport so people say you have to take a taxi to go just about anywhere. They also say there are markets for shopping a short walk down the beach in either direction (someone might correct that as it might only be one way down the beach not both).

england
Level Contributor
5,655 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Goodbye Mexico..Hello Dominican :)

Yeah great resort but no where near shopping which is what they want.. :-)

Yes there are vendors in Cabeza De Toro...But once you've been in one , you've been in them all..Not "proper" shopping..

As my wife would say.. Lol

Edited: 16 March 2011, 19:42
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Goodbye Mexico..Hello Dominican :)

I didn't see anything in Bavaro that I couldn't get in the shops to the right of the Royal section. They were the same paintings and jewelry over and over again.

I agree with nsstampqueen. Stay at Catalonia Royal then spend a day up at Cortecito shopping. Punta Cana isn't like Playa del Carmen at all.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
2,613 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Goodbye Mexico..Hello Dominican :)

In my experience, day passes at resorts can vary significantly. One charged $100 pp and another only $60. It's best to contact the resorts directly for the current rates.

Good luck!

muskoka ON
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Goodbye Mexico..Hello Dominican :)

It is possible to walk to the village via the road from the Catalonia. . . took us about 45 minutes, but was an interesting walk along the twisty turny autobann LOL! As mentioned by Sparky, the market there is very much what you will find off the beach, but there is the supermercado, a small school and behind those, some very interesting streets with plenty of kids and residents. If you love to walk, you can head towards the beach and turn left and hike back on over to the Catalonia - would take about an hour I'm thinking, but again, great peaceful views and you can swim!

On the day we walked from the Catalonia we ended up finding a cab to take us back as it was getting pretty warm by mid afternoon.

C

england
Level Contributor
5,655 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Goodbye Mexico..Hello Dominican :)

Hey I think my misses meant "palma real" or punta cana village...Definately not refering to Bavaro or even Cortecito..Lol :-)

Hey Bugs Turn left ???? I do hope you mean if you were to walk from the Catalonia along the beach to Cabeza & not from Cabeza going back to the Cat,, Lol

Sparky

muskoka ON
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Goodbye Mexico..Hello Dominican :)

OOOPS - Right sparky - was having a bit of resort confusion there for a minute LOL -

From the village of Cabeza de Toro, when you find the beach . . . Turn Right for the Catalonia, Turn Left for Natura Park.

My bad

C

Edited: 16 March 2011, 21:34
canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Goodbye Mexico..Hello Dominican :)

Thanks everyone for your fast replies..Appreciated..

Will check out and keep in mind the Royal..sister resort..Love my in laws but..:) Royal might be a tad too close...:) 7 days...Not sure.

What is that saying what happens in Dominican stays there ..doubt it with family..LOL

anyway .. checking out...Vik Arena Blanco ..looks like resorts we have stayed at in Mexico..Playa and PV..Not fancy...clean good food small more intimate and relaxed and right on the beach .. I do understand Punta Cana is not like Mexico...

Not really into Big shopping trips but do enjoy getting off our resort and exploring the area...

Keeping an open mind and open to options...:)

england
Level Contributor
5,655 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Goodbye Mexico..Hello Dominican :)

Hey there

VIK is a nice little hotel.. Stayed there last June...

Only thing is it's a long walk into Bavaro. About 30/35 mins...

Bugs , you're just like my "misses" ..She has Left & then she has the "other Left" .... Lol :-)

Sparky..

Edited: 17 March 2011, 06:26