We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets, Excellence, or Iberostar Grand... ????

Atlanta, Georgia
9 posts
Save Topic
Secrets, Excellence, or Iberostar Grand... ????

Just starting to plan a trip to Punta Cana for a group of 10 adults in our 40's. Trying to decide between Secrets Sanctuary Cap Cana, Iberostar Grande or Excellence Punta Cana. Anyone been to all of these and can offer advice????

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,126 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets, Excellence, or Iberostar Grand... ????

Hi

We have been to both SSCC and EPC but not IBG

You may want to check out my reviews of both properties and also my online album where you will find 2 large photo albums for EPC and one for SSCC together with several videos of both

community.webshots.com/user/flipflop_man

Please note that many of the room shots are not of standard rooms so please check out the labels

Very much depends what you are looking for and if you expand on this I will be able to offer you more specific advice

We will be returning to both later this year but will be giving IBG a miss as it is not our sort of place

Atlanta, Georgia
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets, Excellence, or Iberostar Grand... ????

Thank you FlipFlop Man... to give you a little backround, this group stayed a few months ago at Secrets Wild Orchid and were very happy (despite a few problems) with the resort itself and the atmosphere. Secrets Cap Cana looks absolutely beautiful but i am a little worried about it being too quiet. Is there any night time entertainment that goes on there? We met some people at SWO who raved about Excellence Punta Cana and said their service blew Secrets away. Although the excellence resort does not look as pretty as SSCC i wonder if it is more suitable for a larger crowd looking to have fun.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,126 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets, Excellence, or Iberostar Grand... ????

Hi again

As luck would have it we have also been to SWO and had a great time although to us it lacked the WOW factor

SSCC is much more laid back and quieter that SWO/SSJ and in my view it is much more upmarket. It is also very different as SWO & SSJ have 700 rooms between them whereas SSCC only has 176. They do have entertainment every night but it is not like the shows that they had in Jamaica

There is certainly much more to do at EPC and in addition you have many more restaurants & bars and there is proper evening entertainment every night and overall you would most likely have more scope for fun as a group

The slight downside is that it is far further from the airport and the resort now 10 years old and can feel a little bit dated in places which is why they have started yet another update programme

Both are great resorts

Edited: 19 March 2011, 17:13
Atlanta, Georgia
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Secrets, Excellence, or Iberostar Grand... ????

very good information, thank you. I definately like being close to the airport and did notice that EPC looked a little dated. Do you have any other recomnmendations? we are not 100% set on Punta Cana but since none of us have been there we felt like it would be a good change.

Also, we haved never stayed at an Iberostar but they seem to get excellent reviews, when you say it is not your thing, what do you mean?

appreciate all of your input...

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,126 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Secrets, Excellence, or Iberostar Grand... ????

Hi again

In PC SSCC & EPC are out two favourite resorts. We also like Zoetry Agua but that is even smaller and quieter than SSCC - again a quality act

Our favourite all time resort is Excellence Playa Mujeres in Mexico and again there are photo albums in my online album and we will be going back for 4th time this summer - The Rooftop Terrace are out of this world

excellence-resorts.com/caribbean-and-mexico-…

We just do not like the style of IBG and the fact that it is one component of a much larger resort complex. What makes travel so interesting is that we are all different

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Secrets, Excellence, or Iberostar Grand... ????

We were at the Iberostar Grand and loved it - it is on a beautiful section of the Bavaro beach and we never had any trouble getting chairs on the beach - loved having waiters on the beach. Food was excellent in the buffet and a la carte's; room was really nice; service excellent throughout. The only thing we missed is having an open-air restaurant and a bar you could hang out at night outside. We have friends that we've travelled with who recently came back from the Excellence and they loved it. We've also stayed twice at the Gran Bahia Ambar and loved it - not sure if you looked into that one. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Simcoe, Canada
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Secrets, Excellence, or Iberostar Grand... ????

cbowling:

Only had the pleasure of the Iberostar Grand. It suited us perfectly. We did see groups arriving and those groups actually made the swim up bar more fun. Any questions just ask and I also have a slideshow of our trip if it can assist you in your choice.

Ontario
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Secrets, Excellence, or Iberostar Grand... ????

I have been to over 20 all inclusives all over the place and so far Iberostar Grand Bavaro is the favorite. For a group it would be great as you have all the adjacent Iberostars to visit if you get bored with the Grand, although I think you would find the Grand will pretty much meet everyones needs. I am watching Secrets Sanctuary for a future trip but doesn`t seem like the right place for a group. I have also been to Excellence Punta Cana and although we enjoyed it at the time now in comparison to IGB it just definitly is a notch below. It was dated when we were there and that was a few years ago. We are planning on returning to IGB very soon and this will be the first time we have ever repeated a resort.

Simcoe, Canada
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Secrets, Excellence, or Iberostar Grand... ????

tooteep:

Ditto we will be back jan next year as well.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
4,566 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Secrets, Excellence, or Iberostar Grand... ????

I am in agreement with Flip Flop. Secrets Sanctuary Cap Cana is my favorite resort (so far) in Punta Cana. I've been traveling there since the 80's. My all time favorite is Excellence Playa Mujeres, Mexico (love this resort) and I can't wait until the Excellence Oyster Bay, Jamaica.