We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking a tour

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Central Point...
2 posts
Save Topic
Taking a tour

My wife and I don't like the big tourist bus type thing but we want to get a better feel for the island. Who can you recommend that can show us around and give us a better sense of the culture away from all of the resorts? Thanks

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking a tour

The best tour for you: Punta Cana Mike's Dominican Adventures - http://www.freewebs.com/puntacanamike/ only available online (not via hotel excursion reps), very popular so can book up months in advance. Read the reviews under Things to Do tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g147293-Activiti…

or do a search on this forum.

Have fun!

Edited: 27 March 2011, 23:11
Berrien Springs...
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking a tour

Dittos to YB1 reply. Did Mikes tour a few weeks ago and totally enjoyed it.

Here is a link to some photos of the day...

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-0110-b374-77a1…

Mich Rob

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,755 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking a tour

Tours such as Mike's Dominican Adventures IMO give only one aspect of Dominican life (rural poverty) and I am unsure of the ethics of constantly visiting local schools etc so "rich" tourist feel they have "bonded" with the people.

The problem with Punta Cana is that it is isolated and if you have already spent money on your hotel you probably don't want to spend a night or two out of it. The nearest Domnican town is Higuey - a walk round there would give you a good idea of standard Dominican life + it has an interesting church. Further a field you could catch a bus to Santo Domingo and visit the Zona Colonial - worth spending at least a night there. There are day trips from the hotels but like you I try to avoid the "big tourist bus type thing" at all cost!

4. Re: Taking a tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 05:17