We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Majestic Elegance...why no lizards??

Mount Sinai, New...
Level Contributor
51 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Majestic Elegance...why no lizards??

Just got back from Majestic Elegance and cannot say enough great things....but I did notice something weird. Whenever we vacation in warm climates, such as Florida, Aruba, other islands...we ALWAYS see small lizards, chameleones, gekkos, running about.

The entire week we spent in ME, Punta Cana, we did not see even one lizard of any kind. Birds also were no where to be found!!! Can it be that they go heavy on pesticides and these creatures avoid the area???

Joliet, Illinois
Level Contributor
507 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Majestic Elegance...why no lizards??

We had lizards daily in Jan near our Bali bed in the Club section. Only a few small birds near the beach restaurant.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,544 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Majestic Elegance...why no lizards??

I saw a couple at the ME but not very many unfortunately (I love watching them). Now at the Ambar, Punta Cana Princess and Catalonia you will see tons of lizards - I was in lizard heaven :-) There were also different kinds of birds at these resorts.....

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Majestic Elegance...why no lizards??

I suspect it may be over dosing on pesticides. Bugs are a necessary part of the food chain for lizards and birds. Unfortunately many tourists either don't understand or care. They prefer a sterile environment. To me it isn't the tropics without them all. Might as well stay at home and go to a fancy hotel in the city.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
2,419 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Majestic Elegance...why no lizards??

Was the buffet well stocked?

Giggles.

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;-)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Majestic Elegance...why no lizards??

haha, maybe those weren't chicken fingers???

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Majestic Elegance...why no lizards??

Marg, behave Gal.

we always have a Private Lizard in the Fisher Suite at the ME,

it's our Houseanimal, lol.

and of course we always bring our Housepet the Bear, too.

Hotels are sparying hefty on pestizides to reduce Mosquitos and thingies such as Malaria or Dengue, hence less wildlife left on the Survivor's List.

Birds are not very numerous on the Mainstrip where one Hotel is located aside an other, hence less Room for them to live/find something to Eat.

more South, as here at My Place in Cabeza de Toro, You can watch Birds all Day long, as our Bay offers wide abandondend Areas and also a very large Lagoon, perfect Feeding and Breeding Grounds for the feathered Cuties.

Happy travels

Mike

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Majestic Elegance...why no lizards??

We'd always see them on the path to the beach down near the See and Sea. My daughter was getting a kick out of watching them.

-Brugal

Edited: 30 March 2011, 18:36
BC Canada
Level Contributor
348 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Majestic Elegance...why no lizards??

We were at the ME earlier this month and saw quite a few small lizards. The best are the ones on the trees who flare out their necks and proceed to do very rapid pushups. Not too many birds at the ME. We were off resort for 2 months before the ME and saw lots of lizards. We always had a gekko outside the door to our condo. In January we were at the Costa Bavaro area and there was an abundance of song birds. Even had a rather large spider (tarantula) on our deck in early January. This was NOT on the resort but in a condo area.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Majestic Elegance...why no lizards??

ha ha ha

those mentioned Tarantulas are aside the usual Caribean Cucarachas the most resistent ones against any Men-Mixed Poison,

you will find them anywhere throughout the Tropics.

number of Presence "Visible"(they are always around) simply depends on the actual climatic situation.

One rainy day after the actual Dry Calm Period and they are all there to say Hello.

Happy Travels

Mike

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
5,916 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Majestic Elegance...why no lizards??

there were lots of them at EPC when we were there.