We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mid March 2009 Colony Bay Punta Cana Resort going bankrupt

Hamilton, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
Mid March 2009 Colony Bay Punta Cana Resort going bankrupt

I just noticed a post about Colony Bay and how it seemed with rumours that it had gone under in mid March 2009. We had the priviledge of staying at the resort when all of that had gone down. Just to verify things, the resort did go under but at the same time it happened to be raided by the guerilla warfare that morning it went under. We were going for breakfast when the trucks came in with all the men and guns. The guerrillas had held the staff at bay with guns as they raided everything and held a gun to one staff members head as he I assume questioned what was going on. To top it off the police were waiting at the entrance of the resort waiting I assume until they guerrillas left before they came in. When they finished raiding the place we were moved to Dreams a hundred yards or so down the beach for the rest of our stay. It was the worst vacation we ever experienced and Sunquest vacations (who we went with) were extremely hard to deal with in getting any type of compensation. I can say we will never use Sunquest again but are attempting another vacation this year to Santa Maria, Cuba. I hope things turn out better lol

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
2,419 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mid March 2009 Colony Bay Punta Cana Resort going bankrupt

um.... what? lolololol

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
2,419 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mid March 2009 Colony Bay Punta Cana Resort going bankrupt

ok, I'll take those lol's back. My bad for not looking it up first. My apologies.

Anyway, have a good trip, hopefully it's better than the Colony Bay vacation.

Edited: 31 March 2011, 00:12
Kenosha WI.
Level Contributor
915 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mid March 2009 Colony Bay Punta Cana Resort going bankrupt

Wow did this really happen does anybody know?

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Mid March 2009 Colony Bay Punta Cana Resort going bankrupt

From Dec 09 Colony Bay has been running/rebranded/changed ownership to Nouvelles Frontieres Hotel-Club Punta Cana - a french resort.

nouvelles-frontieres.fr/voyages_sejours/…

I see their Saona excursion coaches in Bayahibe every week.

Hamilton, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mid March 2009 Colony Bay Punta Cana Resort going bankrupt

There were about 15 of us that were there when it happened. I know we werent the only ones to watch this happen. It was one of the most frightening things I have ever experienced. Being shipped down the way to the Dreams resort was nice but the rest of our vacation was very uneasy since we could see our old resort from where we were at dreams and the police helicopter flew up and down the beach for the last few days of our stay.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
564 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mid March 2009 Colony Bay Punta Cana Resort going bankrupt

What a horrible story. No wonder you don't want to use Sunquest again! Hope you will never experience such horror again, while on vacation or elsewhere.

7. Re: Mid March 2009 Colony Bay Punta Cana Resort going bankrupt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 16:17