We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bug bite experience - once I got home

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
263 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
bug bite experience - once I got home

Just got back from the Gran Bahia Ambar. While there I received some bites on my right wrist and lower right leg. Husband didn't get any..but I heard other guests talking about it. They look like flea bites to me and perhaps are sand fleas.. who knows. I felt nothing on me but the tiny red bumps appeared anyway. They did not itch nor enlarge while there but I'm noticing that once I got home and covering them with long pants they started itching like crazy and looking larger and redder of course as I scratched. The bites on my wrist have stayed uncovered and haven't itched once..they will soon be gone.

What seems to be working! --- washing them and then applying tea tree oil (straight stuff.. not a cream) and keeping the bites uncovered. Might be cool outside but I'm wearing capris in the house and as much as I can! It's relieving the itch and they are looking better. Just hope they go away totally soon.

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
5,873 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bug bite experience - once I got home

Tea Tree Oil is great stuff. My Fiance uses it for dandruff. It is anti bacterial I think. . Possibly antifungal too. I should research more. I shall need to put some in our bags for our trip. *adds another thing to list*

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bug bite experience - once I got home

What do the bites look like? Are they in clusters or 3 or 4?

Edited: 07 April 2011, 03:21
London UK
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bug bite experience - once I got home

I had what almost sounds the same when I went to Dreams Punta Cana last May. Been on many trips in many Countries and had many bites but these have left Scars on my Right Leg in a Cluster of about 5.

I reckon I got them walking on the Beach but I have been bitten by Sand Flies and Mossies before but never get scarred.

They are still there nearly a year later so I have started putting a fade cream on them called Fade Out. Maybe it is an insect indigenous to the DR?

snooks

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
263 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bug bite experience - once I got home

we never got bites when at the Iberostar in 09.

These are just tiny red dots that look like regular flea bites around home. At least they did until I scratched them. Then they immediately turned into red welts as if the 'poison' spread under the skin. As I try to stop scratching - the surrounding red fades and you can see the initial red dot again. Last night when I went to bed they drove me crazy under the warm covers.. I put a cool facecloth on them, more tea tree oil, some of the 'after bite' you can buy in stores and slept with my leg on top of the blankets. It worked.

These bites aren't really in 'clusters'. The wrist bites are 3 in a line which I know is like a flea..they bite in trails. The leg is more of an area covered (the back/side of my calf) but not truly clusters. An occasional one behind the knee, one by the opposite ankle.. so no.. not clusters. I know it's not mosquito bites..I get enough of them at home!

When we first arrived at the Ambar I saw a lady at the pool with the back of her calf looking just like mine but I didn't think anything of it then.

Lisbon,Portugal
Level Contributor
4,971 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bug bite experience - once I got home

I use DEET 55 and never such a thing...

Berrien Springs...
Level Contributor
1,622 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bug bite experience - once I got home

Good luck getting rid of those bites.

Mich Rob

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,620 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bug bite experience - once I got home

I think you can have several factors working here

1. When you are on holiday and you are in the ocean the salt water helps calm any bites down

2. Flying back home in a pressurised tin tube does not help bites, especially those on your legs

3. You can get bitten on the plane as well

4. Certainly wearing pong pants/trousers and having the fabric rubbing on them does not help either

All in all it is best to stay on holiday and not fly home

Midland, Canada
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bug bite experience - once I got home

DEET always works for me as well.

Edited: 07 April 2011, 12:36
Dartmouth NS
Level Contributor
459 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bug bite experience - once I got home

Hi All We always keep antihistamines with us on our trips and take them for insect bites. Really helps with the inflammation. I got into some sea-lice a few years ago and went through a few months of itching, thats when I found the antihistamine. Good Luck Jojo

London UK
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bug bite experience - once I got home

I have read that Sand Flies/Fleas try to impregnate the Skin and this can cause the inflammation and overreaction and maybe why they have been so hard to get rid of.

I only have the marks now but they weeped with some inflammation for about 3 months.

I have never had a reaction like that with Mossies.

snooks