We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rank these resorts (in general)...

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bunker Hill, West...
Level Contributor
275 posts
162 reviews
Save Topic
Rank these resorts (in general)...

1. Iberostar Resorts

2. Gran Bahia Resorts

3. Riu Resorts

4. Barcelo Resorts

5. Other (please explain)

Ellicott City MD
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rank these resorts (in general)...

From what I have learned and read on reviews, you are just about in the right order.

It really depends on what you are looking for.

Big vs. small

Room amenities...

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
7,948 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rank these resorts (in general)...

What are your criteria for ranking? Most elegant? Most family friendly? Best beach? Best food? Best value?

Lisbon
Level Contributor
937 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rank these resorts (in general)...

This is a personal opinion.

Also, we are talking about chains in general.. it is very different to talk about Iberostar Gran or Iberostar Bavaro, for example. Or GBP "standard" and Esmeralda or Ambar.

Nevertheless and based on my criteria:

1. Iberostar Resorts

2. Gran Bahia Resorts

3. Palladium Resorts

4. Riu Resorts

5. Barcelo

The other

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
7,948 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rank these resorts (in general)...

Alexa... what are YOUR criteria?

Bunker Hill, West...
Level Contributor
275 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rank these resorts (in general)...

You are correct...I'm talking about chain resorts. I guess I'm asking, which resort chain do you prefer?

Thanks for helping me clarify.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
732 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rank these resorts (in general)...

i will tell you that i am here now and there are a lot of repeat visitors down here. I am staying at the Majestic Elegance. Several people around us at the beach have tried some of the other resorts and like ME the best. Having said that the only reason advice I can offer you based on your list is about the beaches...

Grand Bahia's beach is WAY to crowded. The people are pretty much laying on top of each other and there is very little privacy.

here is a shot of their beach : flickr.com/photos/…set-72157626345826097

Riu's beach is HUGE. However there are now covered umbrella areas. Alot of the beach at RIU has palm trees so it is very pretty and peaceful. I stayed at the RIU in Cabo and loved it, but i cant really tell you much more on it...

We drove into the iberostar area to drop some people off on our way in from the airport. The hotel grounds are beautiful and it is set way back off the main road. Their beach is really nice with plenty of space and umbrellas as well. ..

Dont know if this helps at all but i figured i would add the 2 cents that i can.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rank these resorts (in general)...

These are the same resorts I'm looking into. Me & my husband are looking to go with our baby who will be one at the time. Out of these resorts which is better for a family with a baby? One that is not to big to get around, has a nice room & maybe a private pool or swim up outside of the room & room service. Just in case we have to stay by our room half the time. Never went away with my baby. He goes to sleep early so we will be in our room early. Would be nice to have a hot tub in room or on a patio.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Rank these resorts (in general)...

Majestic

Iberostar

Riu

Catalonia

Palladium

Bahia

Dreams/AM

Barcelo

that's the Fisherman's Ranking,written on the Bius on the way back home from Santo Domingo afterv a early morning Visit.

Mike

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Rank these resorts (in general)...

for the Family with the small Baby I recommend the Majestic Elegance, a 1-Bedroom Swimupsuite, small sized property, nothing is far away, the 1 Bedroom Suites are perfect for Families with a young one to let the Baby nap undisturbed whil;e Mom and Dad can watch a movie in the 2nd room or have fun on the Veranda/Patio.

we will be back in less than 4 weeks, Baby Sunshine will be 6 Months old during this Stay and the Location suits perfect, not the loud older Kids around as present at the Family Resorts, quiet and relaxed athmosphere for adults and a Baby.

Happy Travels

Mike

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rank these resorts (in general)...

That sounds GREAT! Thanks Mike. I may hit you up with more questions.