We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Gibbons, Alberta
Level Contributor
510 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Catalonia Royal April 2011

I will just hit a few highlights from our trip that didn't necessarily make into my live from the royal reports.

We really enjoyed our trip to the Catalonia Royal - we were almost bumped to the NH Royal like a lot of others it seems, however, the day we left home we found out they were able to find us a room, thank goodness! So sorry to others who were not so lucky, especially the person who was going for a wedding, as we were, I was really upset when I thought we'd have to stay somewhere else and I can't imagine how you felt!

Anyway, we really enjoyed the relaxation of Punta Cana - we lazed around every day but one of our trip. The Bavaro side pool was lovely with lots of natural shade, the beach on the Royal side was great if you could find shade under a tree, the towel game was crazy when we were there - you couldn't find a spot on our last morning. We ran into several broken loungers - for a really nice resort this was surprising - they should pay attention to those as people really want to use them!

We never had an issue in our room - everything worked, even had decent wifi service, just one bad day when it seemed to keep cutting out on me for no reason.

Our room faced the Royal property, the pool, etc. and on the other side of that the forest where a poor little bird (could have been a pheasant or peacock or rooster) who sounded not so good would crow every morning starting very early. Couldn't hear him with the balcony door closed, but I am an early riser and like to sit on the balcony and his poor little attempt at crowing made we want to put him out of his misery (just joking!). Even though there are stairs, I wouldn't hesitate to have a 3rd floor room again, lovely vaulted ceilings made the room seem HUGE!

On the Tuesday we went with Punta Cana Boogie and took a self-drive quad tour - you have a choice when you book of quads or dune buggies - I would suggest quads if you are a single rider and dune buggies if you are a couple. We did the quads, double rider for $80 and it was great value for the money, however, they really aren't meant for two people. My hubby drove (this excursion was really for him) and he enjoyed it, especially when they took us to Macao beach and let everyone go ripping down the roads/beaches.

The bring vendors onto the two properties on different days, once a week on the Bavaro side and twice a week on the Royal side. It was nice, we bought a few trinkets and a large painting for a really good deal. We found them easy to barter with and they really take a lot less than they first offer.

Punta Cana is not really our type of place, we missed the freedom we had in Cabo, Mexico, but if we were to return we wouldn't hesitate to stay again at the Royal it was heaven!

Any questions, please don't hesitate to ask - I will add a link to photos later today when I transfer them from my laptop, otherwise, there is a link posted to most of them on my Live from post.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
641 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Catalonia Royal April 2011

Did you try the buffet on the beach side, if so was there plenty of choice?

2. Re: Trip Report - Catalonia Royal April 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2012, 00:17