We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
whitby
Level Contributor
122 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ideas for Framing Dominican Art?

Bought one of the paintings from the beach vendors, and now not sure about how to frame it. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Boynton Beach...
Level Contributor
4,167 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for Framing Dominican Art?

Usually they're stretched and framed from behind. The framing will cost as much, if not more, than the painting. Don't let them talk you into cutting it down in size.

whitby
Level Contributor
122 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for Framing Dominican Art?

Thanks! Any specific tips on where to take it to have that done?

Gibbons, Alberta
Level Contributor
509 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas for Framing Dominican Art?

Are you in Canada? If so, is there a Michael's Craftstore near you? You can check them out only (google should find it for you) and they always seem to have a coupon floating around for 40 or 50% off your custom framing order. That's what I plan to do with the painting we bought, just haven't had time to run into the City to take it in. They seem to do a good job for a reasonable price.

There are also lots of custom framing places out there if you do an internet search for your area. But I kind of have the idea that they could be expensive depending on the size and type of frame you choose, etc. Good luck and I would love to hear how it turns out for you!

whitby
Level Contributor
122 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideas for Framing Dominican Art?

Michael's is a great idea! Thanks! I'll definitely give that a try.

Ajijic, Mexico
Level Contributor
795 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideas for Framing Dominican Art?

I just used some cheap 1"X2" screwed together in an appropriate size rectangle and pulled the painting tight across and affixed it at the back with a staple gun. I did that with two paintings three years ago - they still look good on the wall.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideas for Framing Dominican Art?

Unless you are willing to pay a lot for the framing ( I did and still haven't hung the darn things) do what Bill said. We bought two 9x22inch paintings and took them to michaels w/ the 50% off coupon. 152.00. I paid only 15 for each of the paintings. Oh and it was just that the same sticks of wood they took off when we bought them, nothing fancy at all. Lesson learned.

Good Luck.

Edited: 25 April 2011, 16:43
whitby
Level Contributor
122 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ideas for Framing Dominican Art?

Another good idea from TA. Thanks everyone!

8. Re: Ideas for Framing Dominican Art?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 11:16