We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest place to buy liquor, souvenirs, etc in PC?

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
347 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cheapest place to buy liquor, souvenirs, etc in PC?

This will be our first time to PC and Ive been reading a lot on these forums about shopping...theres the flea market on Bavaro beach, the mall, little Carribean street near Iberostars, and then of course the airport for any souvenir and duty free shopping...my question is where should we buy our liquor/souvenirs/'perfumes at the best price? I hear the airport (duty free) is NOT the best place for the best price...so where is? Where does everyone find the best prices?

Mentioned in this post
Bavaro
Bavaro
Dominican Republic
Punta Cana Urban Adventures
Day Trips, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Shopping Tours
Plaza Bavaro
Gift & Speciality Shops
Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheapest place to buy liquor, souvenirs, etc in PC?

I don't know where you'll be staying but if you are near to a local market (mini mercado), that's the best place to buy stuff. On the beach, be prepared to negociate the price to one third of what they ask. Stick to your price.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
743 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheapest place to buy liquor, souvenirs, etc in PC?

There is the supermarcado in El Corticito. We found prices there reasonable for rum, except they did not carry the rum-cream there (2 months ago). It was a 45 minute walk on beach, from ocean blue.

Coffee was 4 bucks a pound.

Lisbon,Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon, Samana Province, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,250 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheapest place to buy liquor, souvenirs, etc in PC?

sUnpriNceSsMG - You're right, airport (duty free) is NOT the best place for the best price. If you're prepared to negociate the price to one third of what they ask you've a flea market on Bavaro beach. My favorite place to buy is in a small town called "El Cortecito" because they have a supermarket with prices for the locals not for tourists. You can get there by foot or taxi, depends on which hotel you'll be. Check for details: puntacanatv.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/P…

Mentioned in this post
Bavaro
Bavaro
Dominican Republic
Greenwich...
Level Contributor
347 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheapest place to buy liquor, souvenirs, etc in PC?

thanks everyone! we are staying at the Iberostar Grand on Bavaro Beach...we are just looking for basically the cheapest place for shopping within walking distance to our hotel (and the airport of course)...we arent planning on leaving the resort for shopping reasons lol but looking for the best place out of the airport, beach flea market, iberostar caribbean street, or property shops? I just wanted to know where to find the best prices for liquor, perfume, and souvenirs so i dont get hit at the airport with higher prices than i found on the resort! thanks!

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
347 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheapest place to buy liquor, souvenirs, etc in PC?

PMAL..that was an excellent map! Do you happen to know where the Iberostar complex is on that map??

Lisbon,Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon, Samana Province, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,250 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheapest place to buy liquor, souvenirs, etc in PC?

sUnpriNceSsMG - basically the cheapest place for shopping within walking distance from Iberostar Grand IMHO is Iberostar caribbean street. Check also this map: puntacanatv.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/P…

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,142 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheapest place to buy liquor, souvenirs, etc in PC?

I wouldn't buy perfumes at the flea markets (don't recall even seeing them) and to tell you the truth, the duty-free prices at PUJ were no better than what I pay at home.

Simcoe, Canada
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheapest place to buy liquor, souvenirs, etc in PC?

sUnpriNceSsMG:

May be of some assistance here.

We did the Mike's half day and I can't remember the town but it was very much like a wallmart. GREAT prices and rum, and we bought some clothes for grand kids. (1)

Caribbean street for smokes, booze and perfume which is all in one shop is good but for souvenirs I found them really expensive. (2)

For souvenirs walk to the right on the beach of the Grand and negotiate. Like as in 1/3. We walked by as a daily routine and would just walk in and have a look without buying until we found the nicest ones to deal with. (3)

ENJOY the GRAND

PS: Did read a thread here where someone bought booze off vendors and when home they noticed all seals broken so to be safe tossed it all.

Booze there I read on a thread when taken home the seals had been broken so all was tossed out.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Saint John, Canada
Level Contributor
3,089 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheapest place to buy liquor, souvenirs, etc in PC?

Definately buy your liquor at the grocery store if you get to one. it only cost us $23 for a 1L bottle, a 750ml bottle, a bag of coffee and goodies to eat on our tour

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheapest place to buy liquor, souvenirs, etc in PC?

sUnpriNceSsMG

Click on the pdf on the link, you get a better view

http://puntacanatv.com/maps

Iberostar in on map 3 and Cortecito is on map 4

If you also go on the home page, http://puntacanatv.com

there are lots of buttons to click on for information of the Punta Cana area.

Edited: 29 April 2011, 20:30