We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outback Safari

Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Topic
Outback Safari

Has anyone been on the Outback Safari? Would you recommend it, and can I book it when I get there?

Mokena, Illinois
Level Contributor
622 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Outback Safari

We went on the Outback Safari excursion which we found to be quite educational and fun. We would recommend this excursion to anyone.

The cost of tour from Secrets Excellence through Apple Vactions is $79.00 pp.

You can book when you get there.

stoney creek
Level Contributor
2,243 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Outback Safari

I went on the safari and I do not reccomend it. I went on the Safari in Peutra Plata and it was way better. Way to much time on the bus and not enough excitement.

Ontario, Ohio
Level Contributor
799 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Outback Safari

We have been on the outback safari & loved every minute. We were not on the transport that much. We had many stop that we made. The tour guide was very informative and we learned so much about the DR & the Dominican people.

A portion of the proceeds goes to the schools in the area.

Shelly

So Cal
Level Contributor
9,022 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Outback Safari

I set it up for my group, but had to skip it myself. Had 30+ people on it and not one negative comment. They all enjoyed the insight into local life, loved the guides, drank the rum, swam at the beach, and appreciated the fact that OS doesn't demean local kids by throwing stuff to them from the trucks. (They passed out school supplies at one stop, and everyone felt it was done respectfully and was truly appreciated.)

Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Outback Safari

Janazz,

Are there other tour companies that have a reputation for throwing out things to the children in a non-respectful way? I ask, because I want to be sure to avoid any tour that is not respectful of children and families who live in the area.

Thanks.

Ohio
Level Contributor
236 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Outback Safari

We went on the Outback Safari in April and loved it. At first I hated to leave the resort for a day but in the end I was so glad we went. We had a great day and you learn so much about the dominican culture. I would definitely recommend the Outback Safari.

So Cal
Level Contributor
9,022 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Outback Safari

Edmon, I don't know if the others encourage it or just allow it, but OS does neither. They specifically told everyone not to do it for several reasons (danger, candy bad for kids w/ little access to dental care, and it teaches them to be beggars). Their website also addresses the issue in a respectful way, whereas I didn't even find it mentioned on other sites. Unfortunately, I've read several reviews of the other tours where people enthused about throwing candy etc and how thrilled the kids were to get it. They didn't even realize the implications of what they were doing. So I felt I'd rather give the business to Outback (reserved 42 spots), and I'm glad I did.

Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Outback Safari

Thanks for all the information! I think we are going to do the OS, I would love to learn about the culture, and have a good time at the same time.

Coldwater, Michigan
Level Contributor
315 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Outback Safari

The Outback Safari was cool but a bit long, about 8hrs.

Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Outback Safari

Jenazz,

Thanks for the information about the tour. I agree with the points your making and will keep that in mind when booking.