We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canadians, where do you get your American $$

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
754 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Canadians, where do you get your American $$

I'm just curious to hear from fellow Canadians on where they change there money into US dollars... do you get it from the Bank, from an exchange place, the airport.. etc?

Do you take a large amount of 1's ?

I was going to go to the bank, but then I thought.. do they carry large amounts of low-dom bills?

Arnprior, Canada
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canadians, where do you get your American $$

Always get it at the bank. We take $300.00 for the week. Mostly 1s and 5s. If you pay for something on the resort with US dollars, you will get your change in pesos so we find it better to take smaller bills. Not to mention its much easier for tipping.

We would take more if we did excursions but we spend all of our time at the resort.

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canadians, where do you get your American $$

One of the best places in one of the Ontario tourism kiosks - you know those buildings with the yellow tops? Usually seen along the 401, but we have one here in town as we have the international bridge...

I also have lucked out, as my friend owns a restuarant and she has no need for it - she sells it to me at par...

You might try a couple of banks, in order to accumulate the amount of 1's you need...

Good luck and have a great trip!!

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
879 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canadians, where do you get your American $$

Are you tipping in pesos or dollars?

Toronto
Level Contributor
754 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canadians, where do you get your American $$

Thanks!!

I don't know of any tourism Kiosk in dwntn that I will make it to unfortunately. So I guess the bank it is!

I was thinking they might not have a large chunk of 1's on hand but I will go to the bank and try. :)

Cheers,

k

Toronto
Level Contributor
754 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canadians, where do you get your American $$

ProArtWork > Dollars as I heard it was just the easiest....? I wanted to try and stick to one currency... the money I will be taking will be for tipping for the most part.

Arnprior, Canada
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canadians, where do you get your American $$

ProArtWork, I tip in US dollars.

Kassi, I don't think you will have a problem getting small bills at the bank.

Have a great vacation!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
561 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Canadians, where do you get your American $$

Kassi, call the bank and order any denomination you want. It might take a day before they have it for you. When are you going?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Canadians, where do you get your American $$

I usually don't have a problem getting small bills. If one bank branch doesn't have enough I simply go to another close by.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
561 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Canadians, where do you get your American $$

Prior, if she requests a $300 in one dollar bills guaranteed they don't have that much. I always order my US dollars if I have special request or when in need of larger amount.

Toronto
Level Contributor
754 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Canadians, where do you get your American $$

I am thinking I won't be getting $300 in 1's.. I will be getting 5's, 10's and 20's as well so hopefully they will have enough.. but I will do as Marg suggest and just run across to another bank if they are out at mine.

Glad to hear the bank is the best bet though, as that was my plan. Im leaving on Sunday so I don't have much time to order bills.

Thanks all!!

k