We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

time needed at airport for departure

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wilmington, Delaware
5 posts
Save Topic
time needed at airport for departure

We are sorry to see our trip end:( We head back to the states tomorrow and were told by the front desk that we need to give ourselves at least 2 1/2 hours at the ariport. Is this correct? I should add we are flying first class- I know, lucky us!! Also, $20 departure tax??Thanks for your help.

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
5,864 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: time needed at airport for departure

I would stay close to the 2 1/5 hours as possible. Sometimes things can happen and if you arrive at the same time as a load of buses you can get stuck in long lines. Even first class has to line up in the sercurity lines. Not sure how it will work with your airline but we have done the first class upgrades before and although we do get boarded first here at Canadian Airports it does not always happen in Punta Cana. So better safe then sorry.

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
7,971 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: time needed at airport for departure

Two and a half hours is a good guideline. As sackie stated, you might be able to check in quicker at the ticket counter of your airline, but there are no express security lines for first class passengers...I know. I was one of those lucky 1st class fliers this past march.

Seeing as that you're from Delaware, I'm about 99.9% sure that your departure tax is already figured into your airline ticket. I've yet to hear of a US passenger that's had to pay for the departure tax at point of departure. Check your itemized ticket receipt... you'll likely see the $20 fee listed there.

So, give yourself the padding of time for the airport, to end your vacation on a more relaxed note, rather than stressing about missing your flight. It'll give you some time to shop duty free, have a final drink, etc.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
5,863 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: time needed at airport for departure

Listen to the hotel. We took the famous included transfer, our bags were last off the bus and I had two kids in tow so getting myself to the line before everyone else was a problem. Hubby was still waiting for the bags. Then we were a few people from last. Once we got through the check in, oooooh no a huge line at security and paperwork to fill out. Then, just as we were able to take a breath, we had to board, our flight was pushed up an hour. So good thing we were there early even though the line ups held us back, and our flight was taking off early without warning.

But there is the other side of the coin, I was there another time 2.5hrs ahead of time and our flight was 3hrs late to board! But as we all said, at least we didn't miss our plane!

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
5,863 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: time needed at airport for departure

oh and instead of first class, we were with Air Transat. They process families seperately, efficiently and without the lineups (we all know kids are not good waiting for anything!) Here in Montreal, it was great, over there, they didn't operate the same.

Wilmington, Delaware
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: time needed at airport for departure

Thank you all for your advice. We'll give oursleves plenty of time.....or maybe miss the flight on purpose?!?! ;)

Cortland, New York
Level Contributor
3,442 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: time needed at airport for departure

We traveled home from PC the day before Easter-a Saturday and a busy late afternoon departure. It took every bit of the 3 hours early that we were there (as suggested by our resort) to go through all of the lines. It was not crazy or chaotic-but lines were long, and we really didn't have any time to relax with a Presidente before boarding. Obviously it depends on how busy the airport is at the time you are slated to leave, but for us we were very happy that we listened to the resort and arrived 3 hours prior. Now...if your intent is to stay a few more days...by all means go later!!! :)

Saint John, Canada
Level Contributor
2,498 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: time needed at airport for departure

You really should leave yourself extra time.....it took us almost 1hr to check in and clear through customs and then our flight boarded an hour early. You never know what you are going to run into

murillo
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: time needed at airport for departure

be at the airport at least 2 hours before take off, have you ever seen the line up for a European plane?I watched them start boarding one year and told the wife a half hour later, is that the same line up for that last boarding, wow.

south of england
Level Contributor
1,956 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: time needed at airport for departure

I work for a very busy London airport and see people miss there flights every day , some times through no fault of there own , its well worth getting to the airport early ,then you are prepared for any little problems that might arise , but normally dont .

Gaza

New Hamburg, Canada
Level Contributor
290 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: time needed at airport for departure

We flew with Air transat in April and took a private transfer back to the airport.We did the option plus and there was a seperate check in for us as well as seperate boarding...We did have time for 1 last presidente and a snack ...like we hadnt ate enough already while on vacay...there is a wendy's ....Give yourself plenty of time...

Tissuepaper