We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting Married in January

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cornwall, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
Getting Married in January

I'm getting married at the Catalonia Bavaro during the week of January 22-29, 2012 to the man of my dreams! Has anyone seen or had a wedding at this resort? If so, what was it like and do you have any pointers? I know there was a pack of reviews that made it seem like this resort is not the place to go. I even went as far as getting my travel agent to quote me different hotels as I got quite nervous about choosing this resort. In the end I stuck to it because as fast as the negative reviews poured in, so did the positive ones. Insight please!!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,525 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting Married in January

Personally I love this resort. It had the best food out of all of our stays in PC and the grounds are absolutely beautiful and the beach is fantastic. The rooms are dated and could use some renovations but are extremely clean and spacious. I am not sure what category of room you booked but you may want to look at upgrading to the privilege category of rooms as they are newly renovated and are right at the beach. I did not see any weddings but I think it would be a beautiful spot for a wedding with great places for wedding pictures.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting Married in January

I stayed on the Royal side in Oct 2009. I saw weddings while I was there at Catalonia Bavaro and the Royal. Very beautiful. The grounds are gorgeous and will provide fabulous photos. The food and drinks are wonderful. As stated already, try to update your room to the Privilege rooms before you go. Get your travel agent to book this. Don't count on any complimentary room upgrades because that is always based on availability at check in. If the resort is busy and all those rooms are booked up by paying guests you'll be out of luck. Some brides get very disappointed if they don't receive the free upgrade.

Please read the fine print of what is and isn't included with your wedding package so there are no surprises come the big day. Ask questions and get answers. Print all e-mail messages between you and the wedding co ordinator and bring those with you.

The above advice applies no matter which resort you choose for your wedding. I'm not trying to scare you. Too many couples make assumptions that don't pan out and this is often reflected in negative reviews. I read one review where the couple was upset because some of their male guests were denied access to the wedding meal in one of the restaurants because they didn't adhere to the long pant dress code. Jot down questions as you think of them so you can ask questions ahead of time.

I know you won't take THIS advice.... stop reading reviews. ;-)

canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting Married in January

Hi :) TieTheKnotDownSouth

Congrats..

Our niece is getting married at the Catalonia Bavaro week of Jan 19 through 26th...

I read the same neg. reviews as you did and was a bit concerned..I hope that the manager and the wedding co ordinator of the Resort has seen those complaints and does something to correct the errors...

Just remember you are marrying the man of your dreams..You will be surrounded by family and friends that love you.. That is the most important ...

The Resort does look beautiful.... Don't second guess your first choice...

When I read resort reviews on other resorts There always are some very good reports others not so good..some very bad ones..

Although I do not think we will be staying at this resort (one main reason is that we prefer small resorts) we will be attending the wedding...Maybe we will meet and we can say a cheers for the bride and groom :) Wishing you the best week in PC...:)

Cornwall, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting Married in January

Congrats to your niece! One word of advice, if you want to pass it on to her, is I am keeping in contact with the wedding coordinator at least twice a month. She is very helpful and usually replies to my emails within 2 days. As posted above by Margadagio, I am saving all email correspondence with the coordinator and will have them in hand when I meet with her in order to ensure that all requirements are met. We should cheers us two couples, our wedding date is set for January 27th!

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
14,797 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting Married in January

seen a number of beautiful weddings there, as mentioned a great property to tie the knot.

canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting Married in January

Thanks...

I will pass the information on to our niece ...Her wedding is the 22nd or 23rd? I must find out for sure what day :) Yes we will do a cheers for both wedding couples...I will pm you soon so we can exchange names .... On her wedding day we should be very easy to find...:) Just find the wedding party...LOL

Cornwall, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting Married in January

Thanks! I love hearing that. :o)

I look forward to getting a message from you, CatnHat!

Edited: 06 June 2011, 00:26
8. Re: Getting Married in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2012, 19:17