We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bed Bugs

Springfield...
Level Contributor
150 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bed Bugs

We are staying at Now Larimar in July and I'm second guessing my choice since I just read a new review about them having bed bugs! How can I find out if this is true! I picked this resort because it is newer and other reviews had stated how clean it is... Plus we got a great deal! Please someone.... Tell me I am making the right choice!!

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
908 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bed Bugs

How do we know the bed bugs they claim is not sand fleas they brought with them from the beach? I won't worry about it too much.

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bed Bugs

I've read where tea tree oil mixed with moisturizer, can be a good repellant for sand fleas, to be put on ankles and lower legs, before sunscreen, I believe. I also read where people have brushed themselves vigourously with a dry wash cloth when returning from the beach, to dislodge the above-mentioned sand fleas, and then showered, finishing up with the tea tree oil/mosturizer on legs. Repellant with DEET is also suggested for mosquitos - not sure if it's effective for sand fleas/bed bugs. There are other posts on this forum that may be better able to answer your questions.

I agree with ProArtWork - don't worry too much and be preventive with suggestions that have worked for others - search through the posts and enjoy your trip!!

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
4,572 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bed Bugs

I agree, probably sand fleas. They just start itching more when you get under the sheets so travelers immediately think bed bugs.

Edited: 20 May 2011, 01:25
Bedford, Canada
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bed Bugs

There are a few facts you need to know about Bed Bugs. They are brought in to a hotel or resort by the guest. The hotel is not to blame that they are there but they are to blame if they do nothing to control them. More than likely they discover them, put the room out of order and fumigate it.

Checking for them is very easy. I check for them in every hotel room that I stay in. Pull off the bottom sheet of the bed. Check along the tape of the mattress and box spring. You are looking for blood spots and the critters themselves. It will be very obvious. Also, check the headboard and behind it if you can. Check any chairs or sofas that are in the room for the spots. They hide in dark cool areas and wait for you to go to sleep. A very important question I would ask if someone claims they have been bitten by bed bugs, "Are your bites in a line or are they all over the place?" Bed Bugs will bite in lines or clumps. Rarely will you have bites all over the place like Sand Fleas do.

Take a look at this link. It is a great website but together by New York City which is over run by Bed Bugs right now. nyc.gov/html/doh/bedbugs/html/home/home.shtml

I don't think you have anything to worry about. take matters into your own hands and protect yourself and check for them.

hope this helps.

Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
106 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bed Bugs

Great advice, notkevin! As a public health sanitarian in NY (we inspect hotels), I know that you're spot on!

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
137 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bed Bugs

I was there in January 2010 when it was the NH Real and the place was SPOTLESS. I can't imagine there being bed bugs there. On these message boards reviewers are really quick to scream bedbugs. Usually it is simply sandfleas. I've been eaten alive by those and the bites were usually on my legs, from about the knee down...no place else. Unless the reviewer takes pics of the bedbugs on their mattress at the hotel & their bites and posts them (and I have seen folks do this on tripavisor), I usually suspect a fake review or a sand flea attack.

Wellington, Ohio
Level Contributor
561 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bed Bugs

I don't think that you are correct in assuming that just because a place is very clean that it will be bed bug free. The most luxurious and scrupulously clean hotel can suffer from an infestation just as easily as your local Motel 6. Take the time to check for bed bugs no matter where you are staying.

8. Re: Bed Bugs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2012, 05:17