We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Towels and pool/beach lounge saving

Portage,Indiana
Level Contributor
2 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Towels and pool/beach lounge saving

My pet peeve is when people "reserve" beach/pool loungers with their towels.

I've seen people go out before sun up to reserve these loungers, and then not show up for hours (if at all). Resorts should be taking action against this (Beaches in Turks did, confiscating towels left behind). I've been tempted on many occasions to turn the towels in and collect the card towels.

Is it just me, or do others feel this way too?

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,000 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Towels and pool/beach lounge saving

Welcome to the forum. This topic has been discussed here, ad nauseam. You can likely find some of the other conversations by using the search field.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
101 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Towels and pool/beach lounge saving

Go with concierge or butler service and you will not have to worry about a place at the beach or pool

Cincinnati, oh
Level Contributor
36 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Towels and pool/beach lounge saving

If I am baking in the sun and find I need shade and have seen towels lounging in chairs all by themselves for hours, I will put the towel off the chair and if someone eventually comes back and complains, I will tell them I paid $$$ for this all inclusive but the towel did not, so I have more right to this chair than this towel and if you wish, let's go see the manager to get this sorted. Actually I have never said or done this but think I just might this time.

It's not like anyone is gonna beat me up ;)

Chelem, Mexico
Level Contributor
903 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Towels and pool/beach lounge saving

This was a creative way to save a lounger, …webshots.com/photo/… It was odd, the couple showed up late and the top was never put on.

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Towels and pool/beach lounge saving

We were at the pool on the way back to our room last year. Put our towels on a lounger. Met a couple and were talking to them. This was the early evening. Not a ton of people at the pool. My wife put her towel around her because she was getting a chill. When I went to get mine, 15 minutes later someone had STOLEN it. I had to go to the lobby and report it or I will have been charged for a towel card. So I know you are kidding jtuomi, but you shouldn't talk of stealing. We did nothing wrong.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
2,419 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Towels and pool/beach lounge saving

I doubt it will change, so it's really nothing more than accepting it and moving on.

The only time I would do something, would be if for certain the towels had been there for hours, I might mention it to a staff member. If they remove it, fair game to take the lounger. If they don't, I'm not removing it myself. I value my vacation time much more than risking it by getting into a confrontation.

It is annoying, I'll admit that. On our most recent trip, one group of about 5-10 always had front row loungers at the beach in the morning and the pool in the afternoon.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,821 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Towels and pool/beach lounge saving

It doesn't bother me because I wouldn't stay in the type of hotel where this is an issue.

I suppose it is a response to the fact that demand outstrips capacity. One of the annoyances of paying bargain rates but expecting the luxury of a chair etc when you need it..

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
5,882 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Towels and pool/beach lounge saving

Actually Domingo it's not so much 'demand outstrips capacity 'but the fact that some people feel they have the right to reserve more chairs then they can use. 2 people do not need 6 or even 8 chairs but I have seen this happen on more then one occassion! It happens alot in large groups - some of the group saves chairs for everyone at the pool while others in the group saves chairs at the beach! And even though the others may not show up at one place or the other they still keep the chairs saved.

London UK
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Towels and pool/beach lounge saving

This topic pops up every couple of weeks and I can honestly say in the 12 hotels I have stayed at in the DR around different times of the year I have never found it an issue.

If you like more space and less hassle booking restaurants, finding loungers or just too many people try and book your holidays in the low Seasons which will also save you money too!

snooks

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,000 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Towels and pool/beach lounge saving

Snooky - I've not experienced the problem either... and this last resort I went to had numerous reviews stating that the towel and chair situation was really bad. I didn't know what to expect!. Turns out that only if you insist on being in the very front row of palapas will you have a problem. Yes... your view may be obscured a bit, if you're farther back. But, you can always take a stroll to the water and watch for a bit. And, I discovered that palm trees actually give plenty of shade, and a grove of palm trees is a lot more spacious, with much better views, than getting mired in row after row of palapas.